Crow attacking rabbit.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
First time for me; walking towards St Abbs Head, I saw a couple of herring gulls mobbing a crow on the ground. The crow chased them off and I saw his food "rolling" down the hill. The food got up and ran back up the hill, it was a young rabbit.

The crow was still trying to subdue the bunny as I walked away from it but I don't think it stood any chance of getting away.

As I say, this is the first time I've seen a crow taking live prey; is it common?

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
When were you up at St Abbs head? 6 of us from forum were up there today, i live about 5mins drive from it,the hills round there a riddled with rabbit warren's never seen a crow go for one though. Maybe it was injured? ive seen crow attack a injured magpie once.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I once watched a crow swoop down for what I think was a black weasel on a golf course. The weasel just came out of nowhere and started running across the open fairway, a crow came down from a nearby pine tree and tried to grab it. It left the ground briefly but managed to get away into some hawthorn bushes.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Crows will kill young and weak. Or just eat them (killing optional). They'll go for young lambs - or anything else to fight em off.

Red

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I saw a crow catch and kill a full grown starling once, on the pitch and putt golf course in Bath. Never seen something like that before or since. I can believe that they would go for a young rabbit, heck, everything else does.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Driving through a village in Tanzania a year or so ago, a red-tailed hawk swooped down and picked up one of the numerous chickens pecking along the side of the road. However, this was a street-wise chicken, and it launched a furious pecking attack on the hawk, which promptly dropped it and went in search of something less troublesome. The chicken fluttered to earth, and I swear he strutted along the road just like the proverbial cock of the walk!

(It also explains why the chicken curry I ate the night before was the texture of undercooked goat - tough cookies, those tanzanian chickens!)

Weesi

Forager
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland
I've seen a couple of crows attacking a squirrel before.
I've also witnessed gulls picking up young rabbits too.

Simon

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
When I was working up Glastonbury I saw a crow having a pop at a hare in a stubble field.
They'll have a go at lots of things and they're always mobbing the buzzards.

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
I saw a raven take a house sparrow once, even seen one flying with a half-eaten cheeseburger, still partially in the wrapper.

Early one morning I witnessed a viscious battle between what I assume were 2 rival gangs in a territorial dispute. Maybe 30-40 Ravens in all,aerial combat, fighting in trees; the worst skirmish was on the ground where one bird was cornered and 3 of his enemies had him down. That particular assualt continued for just a minute before 2 of the wounded Raven's allies swooped in and drove the attackers off. It was too late, that Raven never left the field. His mates stayed with him in sort of a protective perimeter and within minutes the battle was over. It was an incredible site to witness.

I had to look this up: a group of Ravens is called an "unkindness".

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I don't believe you have been walking with your eyes shut BR. Lots of things would colour whether you have seen it or not. The presence of crows, suitable prey, other food sources etc.

I was recently sat in a meeting in a FTSE 100 company with a person I knew to be a keen wildlife photographer. I enquired whether they ahd ever seen a crow mob a buzzard. "no" they replied "could you tell me how to see that?"

"Look behind you" I replied. There, from a meeting room window, over woods behind their office, was a crow, dive bombing a buzzard.

Made me laugh :)

hurplegrappers

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2010
R.C.T. South Wales
I know it's not live prey but still pretty weird. I was with a friend at a lake fishing and as he was setting up his rod a crow swooped down and took his reel.. OK it was a small reel but man I was in stitches! Had to lend him my spare reel for the day :rofl:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE