Who eats Fish?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Snowfire

Forager
Jan 10, 2010
Cotswolds
A couple of years ago we were cooking some trout over a campfire with our scouts. Mum of one of them arrives a bit early and wanders over to see what we are doing to find her son tucking into the trout. Mum says "but you don't like fish". Son replies "not the way you cook it".

:lmao:

It's become a bit of a legend in our group.

_mark_

Settler
May 3, 2010
Google Earth
Love fish, apart from Red Snapper! Horrible! Much to my surprise, fisherman's relish, which I also love, is made from rabbit.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Fish I'll buy to eat: Mackerel, coley, pollack, pouting, tuna (yellowfin - usually tinned), wild caught pacific salmon.

Fish I've caught or will catch and eat: Mackerel, coley, pollack, pouting, dogfish brown trout, rainbow trout, eels, perch, pike - might take a carp or two and some rudd later this year, permission granted.

Shellfish I buy occasionally: Dived scallops - never trawled! Crab (in France), mussels.

Shellfish I'll happily catch/collect: Signal crayfish, mussels (given appropriate location), crab, limpets, winkles, scallops and cockles.

Things I'll never buy or take, regardless of how cheap they make it: Cod, haddock, farmed salmon in any form, pair trawled bass, shark or ray of any species, swordfish or bluefin tuna.

If anyone's interested in the 'why' for the above, I'll be more than happy to explain the detail ;)

SouthernCross

Forager
Feb 14, 2010
Australia
I like most fish (both fresh & saltwter ) as well as shellfish.

Why?

Two main reasons.

Firstly, I like supplying my table with what I catch / gather.

Secondly, I like the taste of what I decide to supply the table with :D

My favourite fish would have to be Coral trout.

I can't realy say I have a favourite shell fish ( I lke crabs, yabbies, oysters, pipies, clams, lobster etc. etc. etc)

Knd regards
Mick

k975

Jan 19, 2010
Sweden
Perch and crayfish of the European variety! The perch doesn't need much more that something to fry it in and some salt to be delicious! The caryfish should be cooked in salted water with some sugar, a good beer and lots of dill!
eating-smileys-emoticons44.gif

//K975

Cledan99

Apr 24, 2010
mid wales
Quite in keeping I guess is the fact that I only eat what I can catch, the stuff in the shops is usually minging by the time you buy it....
Probably my fave fish is red gurnard, but its hard to target specifically, like Dabs too, gut em and on the barbie, flip em like a pancake - nice
Pollack has nice texture, but a strong smell and little flavour, so fillet, wrap in a foil parcel with lime juice and chopped coriander, ginger, garlic and chillies, now your talking!
Also eat Black Bream, Cod, ling, or whatever else grabs my hook. Except Dogfish, although a skipper did once give me a recipe for em-
Gut the dog fish, put it in foil with 10 cloves of garlic and two chillies, with a slug of oil, bake on a low heat for around 6 hours, when its done remove from foil, throw in the bin and eat the foil:)
mackeral after cutting em up for bait on a boat all day, I rarely take any home, which is a shame as fresh they are superb.
Mainly eat trout though as I have a season ticket to catch em, pannissed with honey, plain grilled on a barbie, fried steamed in foil (i like that one) and any left overs flaked and mixed with philli chesse (garlic & herb) and made into a mouse, ideal for sandwiches or salads.

I do like a rare fillet steak too, but the local farmers won't let me catch one of those:lmao:

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
You plate it up, I'll eat it!:D
No averse to anything except tinned tuna or tinned salmon. Not quite sure why:confused: probably to do with looking pretty unnatural and smelling like :eek:

Tracyann

Oct 6, 2010
Scotland
I love fish, never bought it as we catch our own and stock up on mackerel when they are here, normally catch conger eel, pollack, colefish, whiting, hake, dogfish, trout, salmon. I pick mussels, cockles, razorfish get the occassional crab and lobster and hubby dives for scallops occassionally when he can be bothered. not a big fan of dog fish but it can be done nice enough just those damn bones. I do love mackerel, think I might go fishing tonight and get some. I make fish cakes, admiral pie, fish puffs, mackerel pate, fish chowder. plain mackerel is my favourite though.

As I was reading some replies I seen some one put down they do not eat rays of any kind as someone who tags and releases them it breaks my heart seeing people try and keep them, or when you see the trawlers have got them tied up by the tail and when they finish just cut the tails, they do survive as I have caught one with no tail and a bit of blue rope still dangling there.
But why someone said they do not eat farmed salmon I do not know. My husband is a mechanic to trade but here in this area you take what is about and he works in salmon farming and I can honestly say there is nothing wrong with it. Not if done properly and responsibly. I personally would rather have farmed than knowing out of a tin they have just decimated half the fish going upto spawn in a mad dash to make money.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Too right about the rays, such a shame to just cut off some wing and chuck the rest away. Th y also seem to have a bit of personality and intelligence to them, unlike other fish.
Quick photo and back in the drink is definitely the best thing to do.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
`some` fish is good.

I like smoked fish, though it can be hard to get decent stuff.

The best, I find is from the fishermen who live on Dungeness; they smoke their own and so its good quality, though decently priced.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
My husband is a mechanic to trade but here in this area you take what is about and he works in salmon farming and I can honestly say there is nothing wrong with it. Not if done properly and responsibly. I personally would rather have farmed than knowing out of a tin they have just decimated half the fish going upto spawn in a mad dash to make money.

The argument for salmon farming is it creates jobs... how many people work per salmon farm? Not very many really and the numbers employed in total have seriously crashed in recent years as automation and foreign supply take their toll.

The arguments against... where to start?
SLICE - sea lice pesticide dumped into estuarine systems in vast quantities even where there's sufficient throughput to clear the...
EFFLUENTof millions of salmon which would, in the wild, deposit their 'guano' over hundreds if not thousands of square kilometers of sea bed as they follow the North Atlantic drift now deposit it all in one spot (until they move the nets because the current location is over-polluted) which comes from...
INDUSTRIAL FISHING OF SANDEELS to make the feed pellets, by removing a staple from low in the food chain many other species than just the native wild salmon are affected including bass and cod, both of which feed on sandeel as juveniles, this processed and nutritionally poor diet not only has a smaller protein conversion ratio than wild fish manage but also requires the use of...
CHEMICAL ADDITIVES to colour the flesh of the farmed fish have been linked and other chemicals absorbed from the feed through accumulation of the smaller species used to make it have been linked in the past to a host of diseases in humans, indeed one US study recommended no more than 3 portions per person per year of farmed Scottish salmon - the 'Merkins take their health stuff seriously so I'll not argue with them. This doesn't segway nicely into the financial side of things but...
PROFITS by and large, don't stay in Scotland. The vast majority of the fish farms in Scotland are foreign owned, Norwegian in the main, so the environmental damage caused benefits not the Scots, but the vikings who stole all the pretty ones and left Aberdeen the desperate place it is of a weekend night when you're out on the lash.

You said something about a mad dash to make money? When I was a kid salmon was about the most expensive thing you could buy in terms of meat or fish. These days it's not only the cheapest thing on the supermarket shelves but it's frequently discounted in order to shift it in enough bulk to make it profitable.

There's your mad dash to cash in - the canning of wild pacific salmon ALL of which die after spawning and only 10% of which are required to spawn to replenish the rivers has nothing to do with salmon farming in Scotland, although it is frequently used by that industry as a smoke screen.

Don't get me completely wrong here - there are some good ones, I hope your husband works for one of them, the majority however, aren't.

Cheers,

PS. Don't eat the salmon... it's off ;)

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
i eat tuna everyday in one of my meals,..4pm usually (i was a competing bodybuilder and find it hard to shake the habit of high protien/low carb infusions thruoghout the day)

and i have two tins of fish(sardines or mackerel etc) in my pack all the time.

nothing finer than pulling a mackerel out of the water and eating it within the hour.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
I cant stand prawns and anything that looks like a insect. I love fish, all fish!

Ive tried lobster and oisters but I dont see the point of it. When I was introduced to oisters, they said, drown it in lemon juice, dont chew and swallow. To me that sounds like it tastes like crap so you have to overpower the taste with something strong and dont chew so you cannot taste how crap it is.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I've eaten most types of sea fish and shell fish, a lot of the uglier looking varieties in France though, and I'm yet to find anything I dislike.
River fish is a different kettle, carp is popular here and it's a taste I've not acquired yet!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE