What brimmed weather-proof (waxed?) hat?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
I'm after a weather-proof brimmed hat for general wear in the wet monsoon (formerly known as "summer"). I'd prefer the ruggedness of waxed cotton to synthetics. Not a stetson-style.

Any ideas?

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I have two hats that does this well. One is a waxed cotton hat, the other is an Akubra fur felt hat. The akubra has taken "quite a bit of rain" (i.e. all day downpours) with no real leaks (it does eventually get damp, but it takes a while). The waxed cotton one is actually not much better in the rain, but can be scrunched into a pack if needed.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
i've been thinking along similar lines, i'm tempted by the sealskinz bush hat, waterproof and breathable available in green and black. also local to me so thinking support your local business scenario!

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
i've been thinking along similar lines, i'm tempted by the sealskinz bush hat, waterproof and breathable available in green and black. also local to me so thinking support your local business scenario!

I'd prefer Waxed and I've just found one on Ebay for next to nothing, so I've splashed out. I'll see how good it is.

Alexlebrit

Tenderfoot
Dec 22, 2009
France
The akubra has taken "quite a bit of rain" (i.e. all day downpours) with no real leaks (it does eventually get damp, but it takes a while). The waxed cotton one is actually not much better in the rain, but can be scrunched into a pack if needed.

You can scrunch your Akubra too, once you've got it in a good bash it should be soft enough, best to fold it in half lengthways to start, and then you ca roll from there.

javi

Forager
Nov 4, 2008
Hampton

Just acquired one and I like it a lot - very scrunchable/ foldable, waterproof and I don't look quite as 'Lord of the Rings' as I do in my woollen Swanndri. I love my Swanndri very much though and don't care if I look a bit Middle-Earth :D

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
You can scrunch your Akubra too, once you've got it in a good bash it should be soft enough, best to fold it in half lengthways to start, and then you ca roll from there.

I has been abused a bit (my SO sat on it when I had had it for a week or two, and some other "incidents" have occured as well), but I try to be nice to it. I have another aussie origin hat (can't recall the brand, I think it was pretty much a no-brand brand) that is my "bush" hat, and that one I even "refelted" (warm soapy water, a wooden stock, etc) in order to get it to where I wanted it. No worries about scrunching that one...

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
I 'field-tested' my new hat in the town centre earlier.

The wide brim kept the rain out of my neck and out of my eyes, with no obvious leakage. It's a good, hands-free alternative to an umbrella.

Poor photo from Ebay (I removed the feather):
ed_2.JPG

goodjob

I had to push it on firmly to stop it being caught by the odd gust of wind, but I'll sort something out.

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
Having been out for a few hours in the rain earlier, the new hat kept out the rain, although I suspect that it is not as waxed as it could be at the seams.

Having picked up the hat a while later, it felt damp on the inside although this could be sweat/condensation

Other than Barbour stuff, what sort of wax would be most suitable for a 'waxed cotton hat'? Would the traditional Nikwax be any good or would it leave too much of a residue and spoil the hat?

cheapeats

Forager
Feb 20, 2008
New England
I use a U.S mil Boonie hat that has been waxed with "sno-seal" leather waterproofing wax. I rubbed it on and placed it aside of the frie place until it melted in At first it was a little stiff but it wore in nice and I have been using it for at least a dozen years in it's waxed condition and I have renewed it maybe once. I used teh same technique on the legs of an old set of B.D.Us to make a pair of gaiters.

2007_0901012-1.jpg

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Rubbed Barbour Thornproof dressing into my Tilley hat, then blasted it with a heatgun.
Works well. Also used the barbour stuff on a Frosts River Thwart bag.

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
Thanks Chaps.

I've given the hat a light going-over with original Nikwax (for leather, but it can only be some sort of wax with a solvent...)
nikwax_waterproofing_wax_leather_shoes.jpg
warmed it with a hair dryer and rubbed it. It is now outside 'curing'/losing the smell.

I'll give it another blast with the hair dryer later.

The existing finish didn't melt, so I suspect that it wasn't actually waxed, but maybe sprayed with wax substitute.

The only issue I can foresee is the wax running/smelling whilst wearing it due to the low melting point.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE