Flavoured alcohol

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That must taste like Highland cream or Baileys :D

I make sloe gin and whisky, strawberry vodka, bramble vodka, I ice brew cider, make elderflower champagne and a rather explosive ginger wine :eek:

cheers,
Toddy

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Hi all - can any one tell me how to speed up the process?

I opened up my bottle of apple and black berry brandy a week or so ago and it's disappearing rather too quickly for my liking.

not wanting to wait another three months for the second bottle - how can I speed up the process? I was thinking of maybe running the fruit through a blender?

does it have to stew in a glass bottle? would a plastic one do?

cheers
Andy

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
Sloe Gin, Christmas spirit, plum brandy, fruit gin, citrus whisky,
whisky-sloegin-and honey mix, and I do like to have a nice 10 year old glen with sap ice cubes sitting in my wood shed/cover. :cool:

wabbiter

Mar 22, 2008
Lancashire
one bottle alchohol x 1lb fruit x 1lb sugar.leave for three months.
i've used every fruit there is and every type of alchohol mmmmmmmmmmmmmmnecter

mikeybear

Forager
Feb 15, 2010
UK

This sound along the lines of what the Germans call Rumtopf
which is very delicious with ice cream , although I seem to remember
drinking , sorry eating it with a baguette on a train on the way home
from Germany at a quite early age :D:D:D

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland

tytek

Forager
Dec 25, 2009
Leeds
Has anyone here actually made their own spirit?
I know it's totally illegal in most Countries (except New Zealand for some reason).

The last time I distilled was in High School in a chemistry lesson. It was at least 90% pure too. We were only allowed to dip our finger in it and taste it. I remember it burned my tongue like hell!!!

Jan 11, 2010
Glasgow
no because in the uk that would be illegal, however i've heard that you can use a fementing bucket with a strong brew in a smaller bucket inside with a immesion heater in the small bucket to good effect, catch the condensation at the bottom, then use it as vodka and i've heard that blueberries and a load of sugar turns out quite nice :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just started on this years Yule set.

Couple of litres of Damson vodka on the go. Going to set a load of home brew beer going next week....

Then its on with the soap, chutneys etc.

telwebb

Settler
Aug 10, 2010
Somerset, UK
We were only talking about this the other day as the hedgerows get heavier with every stroll. My local started a sloe gin competition last year which was very popular and now has a dedicated wooden plaque in pride of place in the bar with the first (of many?) winners displayed. However gin is not really my thing so I'm paying attention to all the alternatives being suggested here .... decisions, decisions!

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
got a demijohn full of blackberry brandy that i've spiced up with mulling spices, cinnamon and oranges and lemons that i'm looking forward to i reckon i might make up a batch of blackberry and apple brandy in the next week sounds awesome

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West

Hi,

I really want to try this. Honey vodka sounds fantastic! So, I just take 1 bottle of vodka, add what? 2 tablespoons of honey? reseal and leave for 3 months? Any other tips how to do this?

telwebb

Settler
Aug 10, 2010
Somerset, UK
right, got a first 'very' experimental brew on the go based on what I think is a standard approach, that being same weight fruit, same weight sugar, covered with plonk and left - four weeks? - before adding fruit no.2, more sugar, more plonk and left again. Question - am I supposed to be doing anything else in between, or does it literally need to be left alone?

gregor-scott

Nomad
Apr 26, 2010
bournemouth
Has anyone here actually made their own spirit?
I know it's totally illegal in most Countries (except New Zealand for some reason).

The last time I distilled was in High School in a chemistry lesson. It was at least 90% pure too. We were only allowed to dip our finger in it and taste it. I remember it burned my tongue like hell!!!

I may know of wine being distilled, if for instance I had tastes it I would guess that it tasted disgusting but was very good at getting you drunk. theoretically of course ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE