The ONLY place to go for Highlander gear!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dozza

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2010
Hants
If anyone wants any Highlander gear please check out this distributor. I found their Ebay shop and got chatting about the size of rucksack I wanted (Forces 55, which was not shown in the listings) and basically I got pointed towards the Highlander website and asked to let them know what I wanted.

The prices were the best I have come across and postage was reasonable for my bulk order.

Ebay ID: pr3pr3

Email: pr3@onetel.com (just get in touch; I said I'd recommend them on here)

I have nothing to do with the seller other than being a satisfied customer.

Right, I'm off to admire my big box of gear...

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Don't know about snobbery, but last year I met a man that climbed Mt. Everest using a rucksack he bought at Argos!

May 14, 2006
Consett County Durham
Yep. . the first pack I ever had was from argos, It was a cheapo but it did the job (barely) and it taught me what I had to look for in new packs and what I should avoid (in my case I needed something with longer back and more durability, load distribution etc).

I have to admit a lot do use tatonka, kelly's etc. and good on them to be honest I have little agin em, It just annoyed me to see someone post just to trash a perfectly good pack not to mention how it must make Dozza feel after he posted what he thinks is a good deal for other members.

sorry for the mini rant (I'll go back down ito my cave now.)

Kev

Dozza

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2010
Hants
Thanks for the vote of support Kev; I do like a good rant myself.
Not sure what WS's problem is. I was going to reply "Eh?" to that last night but the forum wouldn't accept less than 10 characters and I really couldn't be bothered to type more than that.
Nothing wrong with the gear as far as I can see and plenty good enough for starting out.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Highlander make some very good kit,they also make some I wouldn't use.This is because I don't like it not because it's no good.
I have a highlander phantom 400 sleeping bag,i also had a snugpak elite 5.The highlander was just better quality and warmer.for a price difference of £50 the snugpak didn't even come close to the highlander.
There is a lot of rubbishing of kit on forums and it's generally done by people who have the money to buy the best/most expensive kit out there.her's a list of some stuff i got rid of because I didn't like it:-
wilkinson sword woodlore
sabre 75
sabre45
falkniven a1,f1,s1
msr whisperlite 600
hennessey explorer deluxe hammock

This is all top quality expensive kit but didn't live up to it's advertising hype.
Here's a list of some of what I use now:
issue dossbag
self made knife
gelert sleeping mat
blacks own brand pots
The stuff I use now is half the price of the posh stuff but works just as well and n some cases is better quality.
You don't have to spend a fortune to have great kit.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
What is spot on for one persons needs can be a waste of space for anothers...
As a pro reviewer of kit for magazines I am in the position of trying out lots of kit from lots of brands.
Luckily I am - in the main - able to chose what I review and years of experience leas me towards chosing kit that works :)
You rarely see a "bad" review as the bits that fail are sent back to the makers for them to "rethink" - often this leads to a redesign!
I try to include in my reviews any "niggles" or limitations that I find with a bit of kit (ie super light-weight...but not up to heavy abrasion) as well as the kits good points.

The bits of kit I have had from Highlander have proved pretty good for the price (so far :) ) while some items from other suppliers have proved absolutely fantastic, yet out of the reach of many due to their price!

Finding the kit that works well for you (size/shape/weight/durability/colour/materials/ethical standards of production/detailing/image etc) at a price you are willing/able to pay, can be a joyous journey of discovery - or a minefield. :)

For example - Sapper 1 does not like the Karirmor Sabre 75 - I love it.
Sapper and I are very different builds (he is quite tall - I am short) and while he finds the 75 "over-complicated" for his needs I like its versitility, which suits my needs, wants and usage from a pack.
I like a knife with a fairly slim grip - others find a thick grip fits them better so what may suit me may not suit another (I quite like the F1 :))
You aint gonna suit everyone all the time!

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
You don't have to spend a fortune to have great kit.

Far too many kit snobs rubbishing other cheaper kit. Just because it's made by sweaty nubile buxom wenches folding the material on their thighs or has a familar large name on it, doesn't make it good.
I like the highlander stuff it works, it's durable and it's cheaper than forking out a gazillion squid for something that does exactly the same but has a "named brand" on it.
Kit snobbery is everywhere unfortunately and those that are kit snobs and rubbish the cheaper alternative need to get off their high horses and smell the bacon.
I've got cheap kit that has postively wee'd all over the more expensive option.
If it works then it's all good.

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Just because it's made by sweaty nubile buxom wenches folding the material on their thighs or has a familar large name on it, doesn't make it good.

I'd need to inspect this factory you speak of and interview the workers before making a judgment on the product:D

crushthesystem

Forager
Nov 18, 2009
Maidstone, Kent
If i kitted myself out with the top stuff i wouldn't end up doing anything through fear of damaging it to be honest. I personally hate kit snobbery (and most other kinds of snobbery) but there we go even on a forum of people with the same interest there are bound to be disagreements. I use a highlander 44 so if that guy gonna tell me i made an awful choice and it's a waste? doubt it.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
There is also inverse snobbery :D
But I honestly do prefer my home made "coffee can" billies to some copper bottomed comercial ones I have.....and my Hobo from a cutlery drainer is my favourite stove out of all my wide choice!
I even prefer my homemade wax and sawdust solid fuel blocks to Hexi :)

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I'd need to inspect this factory you speak of and interview the workers before making a judgment on the product:D

That's just what I was thinking... (he said, optimistically!).
happy0054.gif

Naaa, aren't they usually too full of kelly kettles and tatonka cr&p.

I wonder if you've actually even tried using a Highlander pack?
Or is it just that old snobbery thing again.

Kev[/QUO

Years ago Highlander was all I could afford. I was kitted out from head to toe in their gear from their warehouse in Leith...I met many of their sales folk when buying in bulk for voluntary groups. So it's fair to say I'm more than just aquainted with their gear. Trust me I'm no kit snob, most of my gear is cobbled together of ex army with the odd better product thrown in. Let me give you a few examples, years ago my gf and I bought winter sleeping bags from highlander and in less than a weeks use both zips went. On a coast to coast walk with about 15kg of gear in the highlander rucksack, both straps came off the main pack when the stitching failed and their zips went too... most of my early highlander gear failed when I needed it most. I have no faith in ANY of their products...I thought the quality may have improved recently so bought a cammo headover, the cammo print washed out in one wash and one side was white????? Total crap. Even their service was crap when I complained???? If only I had known to buy something else rather than spend several hundred on Highlander over the years...but hey maybe I'm too tough on gear or expect too much but I doubt it. But I do expect it to last for a few years at least.

May 14, 2006
Consett County Durham
Well i can't comment on headovers (I make my own) but I have the forces 88, I'm a V/large ham fisted bloke who likes to camp in comfort so when i pack i don't pack light and I've never had ANY problems with it.

Kev

Well i can't comment on headovers (I make my own) but I have the forces 88, I'm a V/large ham fisted bloke who likes to camp in comfort so when i pack i don't pack light and I've never had ANY problems with it.

Kev

I'm really pleased for you bud, that's great but folk should also be aware of other folks experiences too. After all it's about what works for you and when we spend our hard earned cash on things we think they'll do, we make a value based judgement-ie is it the right thing for me or not? Sometimes we don't know until it's too late and that's the value of this forum. We can air our experiences and views so others can make an informed choice on their purchases...

I've made two fairly hefty (for me anyhow)recent investments recently, boots and a downmat, purely on the basis of my need and peoples reviews and experiences of them on here. Without which I probably wouldn't have made the right choice for me and I really value that.goodjob

May 14, 2006
Consett County Durham
I've made two fairly hefty (for me anyhow)recent investments recently, boots and a downmat, purely on the basis of my need and peoples reviews and experiences of them on here. Without which I probably wouldn't have made the right choice for me and I really value that.goodjob

Have to agree there mate, And seeing your explanation of your Experiences then I can well understand your feelings. My initial post was simply in response to what seemed to be an off the cuff and seemingly spiteful remark aimed at something I use without incident, I suppose if there had been a little explanation at the time no one would have felt aggrieved.

At the end of the day I suppose it's horses for courses and to each their own.

Kev

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE