jerky cuts?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Pretty much in agreement with British Red and Rik_uk3.
When we first bought the dehydrators (my brother's is used for meat, mine isn't) I tried jerkying every kind of meat I could get hold of.
Good beef they loved; venison, the salmon cut,and the bit from just in front of the hips that can be eaten raw, )can't remember the name at the moment :eek:) they guzzled.
Pork medallions worked very well indeed and so did Turkey breast.
However, knowing of the salmonella issue with birds, the turkey breast was sliced into fine steaks and then it was blanched in boiling water before it was marinated.
It too went down all too quickly.

Meat jerky's an expensive business I found :rolleyes:

:D

cheers,
Toddy

pilsbury

Feb 14, 2010
essex / London
I Just made liver Jerky and passed it round for tasting and it was a thumbs up, only if you really like liver though as the taste is strong,
heart would probably be a bit fatty unless its cleaned really well i would of thought.
I dont think a slow cooker would do it as it normally requires air movement to dry it properly, in the oven there is normally a fan or if not the door open a crack works with the warm moist air comes out the top and cool dryer air in the bottom providing the way of carrying off the water, in a slow cooker there will be almost no air flow.

and making meat jerky is certainly not a cheap past time but hand made jerky is certainly worth it in my opinion.

pilsbury

Feb 14, 2010
essex / London
Skirt is geat for Jerky as it is very low fat and has long tough muscle fibers, its also normally about a inch thich and so can be cut into slices following the grain giving long thin strips perfect for drying, unfortunatly is quite hard to get in large quantitys normally which is why I stick to rump mostly.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
May I ask ? Why do you follow the grain with it ?
I don't eat meat, so I don't know this from personal experience, but I'd have thought that long grain would have ended up fibrous and stuck between your teeth......if you could bite it off in the first place that is :dunno:

cheers,
Toddy

pilsbury

Feb 14, 2010
essex / London
May I ask ? Why do you follow the grain with it ?
I don't eat meat, so I don't know this from personal experience, but I'd have thought that long grain would have ended up fibrous and stuck between your teeth......if you could bite it off in the first place that is :dunno:

cheers,
Toddy
yes thats it, the idea of jerky is it's a tough snack to eat so you can chew and chew it forever, its a way of passing the time as well as getting nutrition.
I sometimes describe it to people who havent eaten it as meat chewing gum you can swallow, if done correctly the flavour is locked in the fibers, its doesnt really taste of much when it first goes in but the more you chew it the more taste and flavour you can get out, the supermarket stuff tends to have srpay on flavour so it tastes great going in but after a minute or so its just a flavourless tough but of meat you still have to chew to swallow and that seems to put most people off in the future, shame really as done right its a great high protien low fat snack.

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Ok so i have my meat sliced and seasoned and ready to go. having it the fan oven, i suspect may be an issue since i cant get the oven to turn on at all without the door being fully closed and then i can only get it to be to warm... any ideas?
At the moment i am switching it on for a minute or 2 to warm up and build up warm air a bit and then leave it for an unspecified amount of time...........and repeate
Could be a bit tricky over night though.

HEELLLPP?!?!?

pilsbury

Feb 14, 2010
essex / London
why cant you get the oven to come on with the door open? is it a case of there is a sensor on the door and oven frame that must be touching or is it a gas cut off? most oven s can have the door opened during cooking a crack or even fully opened so you can put stuff in and out so i am not sure why yours wont warm up with the door held open a crack with a spoon or sometheng.
i

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
I use finely ground, very low fat (<5%), quality, beef mince. I mix with sodium nitrite cure and spices etc. then roll out very thin and cut into strips 1" wide 12" long with scissors. The excess mince is then rerolled and cut until all processed.

This dries quite fast in the dehydrator, is a standard size which packs well into polythene ziplocks and seemingly keeps forever (easily a couple of years in the 'fridge). Chewable, tearable and the texture is fine.

Last edited:

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Well i managed by turing it on and off for two days when i was there.
It seems to have worked - i have strips of dark dry meat - one spicy and one chineasy.
be interesting to try other peoples to compare - i like nibbling on it but its not changed my world yet.
My lass was very amused by it all.... O:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE