Legal question regarding pigeons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rich.H

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2010
N.Ireland
Due to standard city living I find the flat roof out the back of my house is often used alot by the local pigeons for bathing etc after rainfalls. Now whilst I realise that sitting taking pot shots at the from the bedroom window would get me in trouble, there has been a potential spark.

If I were to build up a wooden aviary (the same kind you see most homing/racing pigeon keepers using) out on my flat roof, and then put in shelves, resting poles, food/water bowls etc to entice the pigeons inside to make a home. Would I then still be breaking the law if I were to go in there now and again for either fresh pigeon or eggs?

On the one hand yes I will still be killing a wild animal (not with any kind of firearm or projectile, strictly hand methods). However surely since I am providing shelter along with food and water I could argue the offspring are mine in the same way as chickens would be.

So anyone that can offer some advice, what would be the likely legal situation in the above setup?

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
Personally, I'd rather eat dog than a city pigeon! They are a bio hazard that makes swine flu look like nothing (which it was! :rolleyes:) and I wouldn't encourage them.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
It's minefield. If you kill an animal and cause it unnecessary suffering in doing so you commit an offence. In other words if you chase a pigeon around the enclosure you could be held criminally liable because you caused it distress etc by chasing it to kill it. The RSPCA would probably prosecute.

You couldn't shoot them unless on the grounds of health and safety or to protect crops. I for one would not eat a feral pigeon. They carry a lot of diseases. There are also offences with regards to taking eggs.

I'm sure there are some technicalities to get around them, but it may just be easier to inform the council that you intend to cull them on your property on the grounds of health and safety. I'm not certain but they may need to licence you for that purpose.

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
The Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 states that it is an offence to kill any bird, including pigeons, unless a licence is held and excluding game birds during their season (priavte land, permissions yada yada)

but, it doesn't include "population control" by building lofts and taking their eggs, for which no license is required and no law is broken

see this bbc linky: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7474567.stm

but bear in mind that eating any carnivorous or savaging animal can expose you to bacteria, viruses and parasitical creatures, so clean and gut well and cook to outside an inch of its life! to be safe, boil until the flesh falls from the bone virtually under its own weight

city birds may well have consumed toxic materials too, an extra caution to bear in mind

Hope that helps? :)

Last edited:

wabbiter

Mar 22, 2008
Lancashire
the licence to kill pigeons for various reasons is free, you just download it from defra site, like all vermin you just need land owners permission...........mack

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE