Jerked Liver? Can it be done?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 26, 2009
My Front Room
I love offal and liver is my favourite.
I love spicey beef jerk.
I know you can dry red meat.
I know you can dry fish.

But can you jerk liver?
What is to stop one cutting strips of liver, brining, drying then seasoning and dehydrating?
Is it the nature of the organ in question or is it liver is to delicious not to eat straight away, with a nice Chianti and some faver beans?

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
dried liver for the dog costs a fortune but she is alergic to loads of meat (i know how mad)...we used to but the dried liver but i now dry it myself......

use the search bar and look for beef jerkey thread and just do the same.... just cut the liver a little thinner and use a high heat to start so it cooks it first....

the dog loves it and so do i lol......

hope this help.....chris....

forestwalker

Just because something can be done, doesn't mean it should be done.

But if the OP likes the result, and it means that the liver gets eaten, why is is a problem? It is not as if anyone proposed forcing anyone else to eat it.

That reminds me, I should take another piece of moose liver pate out of the freezer (and if I hadn't taken care ot the liver it would have gone to feed the local ravens (foxes, etc) by virtue of being left out in the bush).

javi

Forager
Nov 4, 2008
Hampton
I like jerky, I like liver, I have a dehydrator - I reckon I'll give this a go this weekend actually :) I'll post up the results when I've done a taste test. assuming of course I don't end up in A&E :eek:

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Don't get me wrong, I like jerky, and I like liver (smothered in onions and mushrooms). I just don't think i'm "feelin' it" for liver jerky. There is a big difference in muscle tissue and organ tissue, and I just don't think it is going to "jerk" properly. Hey, I could be wrong, and hope I am.

Jul 26, 2009
My Front Room
If it were mine to share.
It is to Pilsbury we should send thanks.
Liver jerky is not to everyones taste. A recent fishing trip demonstrated that; not the liver taste, merely the spices were to hot for the test subject. The other milder jerkys' were acceptable however.

My question is: what temperature do you dry your jerky at?

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
My favourite way to jerk liver is to put salt, pepper and pimento on it, open the window and then throw the foul stuff as far away as possible.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE