Skill sharing weekend. March 12th, 13th, 14th, 2010

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Are you intending to come along for the weekend

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gazmc2

Forager
Oct 5, 2008
Grantown-on-Spey
how cold are we expectin it to b on this wee shin-dig? I have a hammock, 3 season sleeping bag & a tarp........ Is this sufficient?? Are we bringing food for ourselves or are we contributing to a group feast?? May be a bit early to be discussin this but im really lookin forward to it & talkin bout it keeps the anticipation(if thats how its spelled) going!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Don't know about the temperature but I'd bring extra just in case. It's Perthshire, it can be bitterly cold at times. We'll hope it's a warm early Spring though :D

Food..........how about I bring along the *huge* stockpots, and since I still have the venison ribs and hough that I was intending to make into stew at the New Year meet that didn't happen, that makes one big pot of stew to be going on with. I'm not offering to feed everybody to the full but if that's there then there'll be some for all but we'd need to make rice, couscous, or naan or even just buttered rolls to fill it out.
I also got one of the smoked ham joints in Tesco just as they did a final reduce and it's in the freezer. I could start that as the base for an ongoing soup pot ? Lentil ? a la Graham_S ? It means there's hot food, suitable for a lunch for folks, again it would need filling out with something though.
Doc has suggested rabbits too.
Happy to bring the big girdle along and do the cheese scones, tattie scones and oatcakes ............not *all* of them, this Meet is getting kind of big, but no objections to showing how and letting folks get on with it for themselves.

Lots of good cooks in the company though, anybody else got suggestions ?

Oh, and my friendly neighbourhood poacher (he who was a butcher to trade) has been making Lorne sausage........from venison :rolleyes: :D
I could see if he'd make up a couple of 5lb blocks of the square slice ?
It's not hung venison so it's not gamey. HWMBLT who ate an entire block by himself for breakfasts for a couple of weeks said it tasted like good steak. :)
I'll see what sort of price he'd take for them, shall I ?

cheers,
M

gazmc2

Forager
Oct 5, 2008
Grantown-on-Spey
sounds superb toddy, much more grand than i was expectin but great.... Never tried venison so the sausage sounds appealin, would b more than happy to contribute to any food costs etc.

Apr 20, 2009
East Lothian
Hi there Mary, I've been watching this thread with interest and it just sounds better and better. I have also managed to get a pass for these dates and would like to join in with you all.
I will pay towards the hall hire and bring another canoe to play with. Heading up from East Lothian and have space in the car if anyone is stuck en route. I'll see what I can get for the pot also. If there is any of the venison lorne sausage for grabs I'll cough up for some.
'I'm getting all excited'

Dave

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
how cold are we expectin it to b on this wee shin-dig? I have a hammock, 3 season sleeping bag & a tarp........ Is this sufficient?? Are we bringing food for ourselves or are we contributing to a group feast?? May be a bit early to be discussin this but im really lookin forward to it & talkin bout it keeps the anticipation(if thats how its spelled) going!

Have you got a mat or blanket to put below you,it keeps the draught from leeching heat from beneath just as if you were on the ground.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Hi there Mary, I've been watching this thread with interest and it just sounds better and better. I have also managed to get a pass for these dates and would like to join in with you all.
I will pay towards the hall hire and bring another canoe to play with. Heading up from East Lothian and have space in the car if anyone is stuck en route. I'll see what I can get for the pot also. If there is any of the venison lorne sausage for grabs I'll cough up for some.
'I'm getting all excited'

Dave

Dave, if you're heading there by canoe yer on yer own.

If you're crossing the Forth Road Bridge any chance of a lift? I live 200 yards to the West from it.

I'm currently unemplo.. resting between Pantomimes... but will pay for petrol and contribute a good blether (My late Gran lived in Fisherrrow..).

Liam

:)

gazmc2

Forager
Oct 5, 2008
Grantown-on-Spey
no barn owl i dont have a blanket per say, would any old blanket do or should i be looking at purchasing a specific type? i have read on here about underblankets & im guessing they are made for the job but just wondering what other options are available.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
no barn owl i dont have a blanket per say, would any old blanket do or should i be looking at purchasing a specific type? i have read on here about underblankets & im guessing they are made for the job but just wondering what other options are available.

Hi Gaz,if you are using a hammock for the meet all you really need is a cheap roll mat or you could invest in a self inflating mat,Highlander do them for about 20 quid ish.I've had a bit of a search and found this http://www.winfieldsmegastore.com/Highlander-Self-Inflating-Thermalite-Mat-p-SM028-c-CAMOFLOUGE.html . I use their 3/4 length mat myself for ground dwelling.Failing that i have got one of the original underblankets from the first group buy that Ian(Wanderinstar) did,i could let you have a lone of it for the meet,to try one out.I will be using my Tipi for the meet,so the offers there.
Of course i would show you how to rig it up,because it goes on the outside of the hammock unlike a sleep mat which will be inside the hammock with you.

is there any water, suitable for canoeing then?

R.B.

Hi R.B. Loch Earn is about 6 miles up the road from the campsite if thats any good to you.

Cheers Stuart.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Loch will be free of bankside "fishing parties" so will be pleasantly quiet once you get up past the caravan park. There are some nice put-in places either by the dam at the Comrie end or further up off the south side road. Running the Earn from Comrie to Crieff is also an excellent paddle

NS

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
Cant believe ive not seen this thread until now, ill ask the boss for that Friday off when i go in on Monday.

I might think about turning up on the Thursday afternoon/evening.

I think the fishing season starts on the 15th of march though, for those considering it.

Stoo.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Cant believe ive not seen this thread until now, ill ask the boss for that Friday off when i go in on Monday.

I might think about turning up on the Thursday afternoon/evening.

I think the fishing season starts on the 15th of march though, for those considering it.

Stoo.

Aye i wondered where you had went Stoo :)

gazmc2

Forager
Oct 5, 2008
Grantown-on-Spey
cheers stuart f, i'll prob take u up on that offer, try before ye buy 'n' all that!! I had a look at underblankets & they're no cheap!! That mat looks good tho ta for the link. Obviously more to hammocking than i thought.

Thanks again

Gaz!

Last edited:

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
*pokes head over the fence*

Long time no see - been getting caught up with other things that have meant that while the bushcraft has still been getting a lookin, I've not had the time to come here and spraff about it.

However, I would really like to come to this weekend... I'm waiting to hear if other potential commitments I have for that weekend follow through, but if I'm free, I'll be coming!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's kind of a mix tbh. I would advise that if you are certain that you are coming that you contact them and book. However, Comriecroft, if it's quiet, have no problems with folks turning up at the last moment. A little later in the season and they can't guarantee a pitch since it fills up pretty fast though.

It would be appreciated if folks would mention that it's a booking for the bushcraft weekend; they like us and I'd like them to have some idea of our numbers, especially since they give us really good rates for the use of the hall, etc.,

I know that not everyone is happy camping at this time of year, they do have a bunkhouse and it is sometimes possible to book an entire room for family or friends. Contact has to be made directly with the site for this though.

Does that help ?

cheers,
M

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
Ive booked the time of work and emailed comriecroft (info@comriecroft.com) to ask that i get a spot in the camping field for Friday - Sunday :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE