Mushroom Logs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I have been thinking about getting some 'mushroom logs' as presents - have any of you got one / use one?

I thought it may be a nice way to get people into 'wild' mushrooms in a more unusual way than the polystyrene tray of compost kits.

This is the type of thing i'm thinking of....... :rolleyes:

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
A guy I knew had one years ago and it worked really well. I think success depends on how well you look after them and where you keep them. Conditions have to be right for the fungus:)

tjwuk

Nomad
Apr 4, 2009
Cornwall
Always fancied doing that with Sh*taki shrooms, but on a big scale. Takes a year or two but if they work out you can sell them as well.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
aye, dowel rods impregnated with spores. cracking idea 18 months to really get going tho? long term payoff for real, although in 18 months under wet conditions i wouldn't expect much log to be left?

peachy

Oct 25, 2009
west midlands
my cat dumped on my last crop the dirty bugger..

its real easy to do by the way and when youve done it once you can make your own plugs for the next log..

i used ash wood last time..put some spore plugs in,put it in a bin liner in the shed for about a 10 months or so..keep it totaly dark..when you get it out it should be covered in white mycelium..soon as its out and gets a few days light youll have some shrooms saying eat me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE