Canada

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

some like it cold

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2009
forest of dean
Hi im going to canada (medicine hat to be specific) in January next year with SWMBO and our 6yr old. was wondering if theres any kit thats cheaper out there and any bushcrafting activities or shops out there that people think are worth a visit.

Im also putting together a little survival bag/ possibles pouch to keep with me for the duration of the trip and was wondering what people would suggest goes into it?

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Cheap firesteels and stuff in Canadian Tire, or you can always try Walmart if you aren't bothered with the ethics of it. I'd keep a good blanket or two in the car if driving, a shovel, food, water and a bottle of gasline antifreeze for starting a fire if necessary. Warm clothes are a must in January in Alberta as you know. You can get some good outdoor clothes from Mark's Work Wearhouse( Carhartt, helly hanson, etc.). Not sure what you want to do, but there should be activities like ice fishing, snowmachines, dogsleds, cross country skiing and stuff. Take some pictures if you can! Enjoy your trip.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I forgot to say if you're driving and hit the ditch in the middle of nowhere use the shovel to clear snow away from the exhaust of the vehicle. That way you can run the car for a bit for heat and not get poisoned if you can't dig your way out. Keep your tank full of petrol when you can. If you're there for any length of time try to get to Waterton National Park. Most people say Banff which is nice, but Waterton was like the secret Banff 12 years ago. Things might have changed now but I'm sure it'll have less tourists...

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
Does the Mountain Equipment Coop still exist? Hang on... quick Google... Yes it does!

I went there when I was living in Canada for a while years ago. The prices worked out about 1/2 that of the UK and the gear was good stuff as they really know their outdoors!

Cheers,
Steve

some like it cold

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2009
forest of dean
thanks dor the tip about the exhaust with my driving that could come in useful ;)

was thinking of a day trip to montana so may weel try and get to Waterton in the process of that. Anyone know what the law is like in canada if im travelling with my bushcraft stuff in a pack (knife, stove etc) is it likely to be a problem? or with a neck knife?

will try the outdoors shops whilst there im sooo excited and will probably crash this server with the number of photos

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Canada Goose and Arc'Teryx used to be half the price compared to Europe a few years back. Not sure if it's still the case.

Mike

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I've been to Med Hat, it is the only town in North America I have actually been to as opposed to just driving through as you do, and the sheer scale of things bewilders me. It is the only place where a pub crawl makes using a taxi compulsory, the bars are that far apart!

It is prairie country there, so you'll see plenty of pronghorn kicking about the place, and in the distance you may get to see the top of some mountain or other! If you weren't aware, soldiers train about 3/4 of an hours drive away from Med Hat, so you'll have them down town now and then, and you may hear artillery and other large bangs but from that distance it should be just a dull thud. Still, it's pretty impressive country and the electrical storms are like nothing I've ever seen before or since.

I cvannot give you any advice other than make sure you have decent bug juice, head mossie net and a mossie net for over your bed, the mozzies around that area are as big as dogs and can penetrate chobham armour!

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Shame you only got to see Medicine Hat Spamel! It's a nice place but a bit rootin tootin at times! Mountain Equipment Co-op is the biz, I've still got gear going strong 12 years on.

There's a hike you can do in Waterton Park where you pay a guy with a boat to drop you off an hour away. When you get to the top of the mountains there's a lake, the south side is Montana, the west bank is British Columbia and the side you're on is Alberta. Very nice, and you'll see bears!!! Don't think you'll be wanting to do that in January though!

My sister lived in Montana, I made a point to visit whenever I could with my fly rod in tow. It's all good round there, you'll love it. How long are you away for?

some like it cold

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2009
forest of dean
we are there for 14 days although we will now probably spend the first 5 days up in banff skiing. Is there a mountain equipment co-op in medicine hat or will we need to go to calgary?

we are hoping to visit montana and the glacier national park.

that should leave us with somewhere around a week to find things to do would like to hire some kit and have an overnight winter camp out but not sure and want to spend at least half a day dog sledding maybe skidooing the other half but not sure if the lad is old enough being only 6??

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Kids don't feel the cold the same way we do! Bundle him up and he'll be grand...Just my personal opinion but Lake Louise is better skiing and snowboarding than Sunshine Village. I doubt Medicine Hat will have an MEC but I know Calgary had one. Glacier park is amazing, you'll fall in love with the place! I'm jealous now...

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I haven't lived there for 10 years now but it doesn't seem to be as uptight as the UK when it comes to insurance, or having knives in the car or on your person for that matter. Obviously best to check when you get there but when I go back it's still fairly relaxed. You'll have your lad with you on the skidoo so it shouldn't be a problem hopefully. Sounds like you've got a great trip ahead of you!

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I prefer Goats Eye and Sunshine than Lake Louise my self depends on what you like to ski.....well ride in my case. Lake L is more like Europe I found G.E alot quieter but it was very cold when we were there in Feb -25 and so blowy we were the only people on the chair life im sure with wind chill it was well below 30oc.
Most things are cheaper lift pass expensive leathermans cheap I bought A Barmah (sp) hat which was as dear as here! Oh you cant get the tax back like you used to so bare that in mind.
Some of the best riding I ever had ,coldest I have ever been (you will soon get why Canadians wear neoprene masks!) and some of the nicest people you will meet.
Dave
Oh yeah I bought a snow board whilst I was there nearly half price.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE