Tracking land prices

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
Hi,
thinking about investing in woodland. I would like to see how land prices have developed over the last few years. Does anyone know of a resource for this please?

norm

Feb 18, 2005
Leicestershire
Leigh,

Look at woodlands.co.uk - this is the major outlet for woodland sales in the UK. I don't know if there are any indices such as you get for agricultural, or commercial property from the likes of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (but if you can navigate their horrific website search system you might find something - possibly called "woodland market survey"..?)

As a Land Agent I keep my own records of property sales going back several years - my experience is that woodland prices have been gently rising for the last 4 or 5 years - mainly due to the dreaded "lifestyle" purchaser...!

If you are thinking of investing for "owning property" woodland is a good bet, there's grants to support ownership/management, there almost certainly always will be, there's timber sales which should only ever get better (what with peak oil, etc) and ultimately land (whatever's growing on it) it is a finite resource...

Jamie

timboggle

Nomad
Nov 1, 2008
Hereford, UK
There was an interesting advert in this months Trail magazine classifieds for Ancient Woodland £15,000. I'll try and find it and post the details.

(it's not mine and I don't know the owners - if it was, I'd have put it in the classifieds here !!)

Mar 18, 2009
Lancs
If your just wanting to make a bit of money houses will beat woodland. i've had a little house i bought a few years ago that i rent out but i'm selling up soon so i can buy some land not to make money but to use as a quite getaway.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE