Air pistol for rabbits?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
30 years full bore pistol practise before the enforced "retiral" should help.;)

Well on THAT front...
Toddy ---> :twak: <--- Me

Sorry - I'll shut up now. :p

30 years should do it - have you kept your hand/eye in since then on air or anything exempt?

I keep meaning to head down to my local range - I've always loved shooting the few times I've done it. (Air rifle mainly - only shot cheapo BB guns in pistols.)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Do it - we still shoot pistols too:)

Muzzle Loading Revolvers - the best fun you can have standing up :)

I will - I will.

I dunno about muzzle loaders though - could they be more fun than hooning down untracked snow in the French Alps on (and I say this unreservedly) THE BEST snowboard in the world (yes, it is, mine's better than any other - end of story!)?

Actually now I think about it - I can imagine it'd be a bit of a laugh. There's something about that black powder sound that's really satisfying.

Right - where's my pocket money gone? I want a gun and range membership and I want it yesterday!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
There's something about that black powder sound that's really satisfying.

Right - where's my pocket money gone? I want a gun and range membership and I want it yesterday!

See you there :)

3372778502_1a83929efb.jpg

Gah!
What have you DONE to me?
I'd never thought about shooting handguns apart from my inevitable range-visit with a good friend who's going to take me shooting when I'm next in the states. (I believe her granddad owns a bona-fide Tommy Gun - dunno if I'll get to play with that though)
Now I'm fighting the urge to go looking for prices!

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Have you considered using a catapult? You can get close to 18ft/lb with a good hunters catapult, and pretty accurate too (and it'll fit in your pocket). Same rules apply regarding permissions too, and bare in mind, a catapult isn't supposed to be your primary method of hunting.

^^^ This ^^^^

hunter mark

Jul 26, 2009
South Bedfordshire
its do - able but I wouldnt. Not my cup of tea at all. Its either going to be an execution or a wounded runner.

You will need a decent quality pistol though - such as a Wierauch HW (but watch out as the target based Hws only put out about 2.5 FPE) or a Brockcock Aim X. Avoid Co2 pistols at all costs - mostly have crap triggers & are very temperature sensitive.

You will need to keep it in a case (that renders it impossible to fire) when you are not on land that you have consent to shoot over.

Plus get a load of practice shooting it before you contemplate trying to dispatch live quarry - its suprisingly hard to shoot accurately with a pistol - bearing in mind you only have a kill zone the size of a walnut (between the eye and ear). You will probably need a scope or red dot sight - iron sights are also difficult to get consistent accuracy with.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
I've decided against the air pistol idea and I'm going to practice with a throwing stick.

Just to give you an idea of the distances involved, I took these shots yesterday.

Bunnyx.jpg

The bunny is inside the red ring. I was as close to the rabbit as the dog was and got much closer before it bolted.

PB170008.jpg

You can just make out the rabbit in this close up.

fredster

Forager
Oct 16, 2009
Ipswich, Suffolk
If you can get that close to a rabbit, walking thru that sort of noisy terrain, it has myxomatosis and needs to be despatched. Its having enough problems without being shot at or having sticks thrown at it! Jumping/stamping on its head is easiest method or the neck snap if you know what you're doing, but I always find that when you see the state of their eyes you will not want to be picking it up!

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
If you can get that close to a rabbit, walking thru that sort of noisy terrain, it has myxomatosis and needs to be despatched. Its having enough problems without being shot at or having sticks thrown at it! Jumping/stamping on its head is easiest method or the neck snap if you know what you're doing, but I always find that when you see the state of their eyes you will not want to be picking it up!

Totally wrong.

Bunnies in that situation will sit tight until the last second and then take off like a rocket. Myxi rabbits don't bother to move.

We bolt bunnies every day and have seen no myxi since early October.

The dog, two years old and fit as a flea, hasn't got a hope in hell of catching them.:eek:

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I still reckon a catapult is ideal for that situation.
Getting that close, you're firing down so you don't even need to worry about a backstop.

fredster

Forager
Oct 16, 2009
Ipswich, Suffolk
Totally wrong.

Bunnies in that situation will sit tight until the last second and then take off like a rocket. Myxi rabbits don't bother to move.

We bolt bunnies every day and have seen no myxi since early October.

The dog, two years old and fit as a flea, hasn't got a hope in hell of catching them.:eek:

I disagree. There's alot of rabbits round my way and they don't sit tight. At the first sight or sound of you they're off and heading for home. The myxi ones move IF they hear you, just not at much pace. There's a Myxi outbreak in my part of Suffolk at the mo and there's loads of them. I saw four of them in a 20min walk at Alton resovoir yesterday. 3 dead, one alive (until the dog got it). My dog can catch them, but then he's a whippet and bred for it.

Last edited:

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Young rabbits do crouch in the grass before eventually bolting when you're near them, it doesn't mean they always have myxi.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Not wrong. There's alot of rabbits round my way (arable land) and they don't sit tight. At the first sight or sound of you they're off. The myxi ones move if they hear you, just not at much pace. There's a Myxi outbreak in my part of Suffolk at the mo and there's loads of them. I saw four of them in a 20min walk at Alton resovoir yesterday. 3 dead, one alive (until the dog got it). My dog can catch them, but then he's a whippet and bred for it.

OK, not wrong in your part of the country.:)

A lot of the (healthy) rabbits in my local wood will sit tight when the dog marks them and I can get close enough to (literally) poke them with a stick.

Mind you, a fair few sneak away before the dog gets to the bush.

Thankfully our myxi outbreak was short lived this year.

I'm sorry that you are being afflicted at the moment.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE