Which Billy Can?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
thanks for the help Xav
I was leaning towards the tatonka until Shewie helpfully showed me the Mors range which is beginning to seem like the one for me.
life was a lot simpler before the internet when choices were limited to millets blacks and army surplus shop!
Sam

Those Mors ones look promising. I think the teflon coating is a mixed blessing -excellent ease of wash up but prone to damage from metal spoons (carve some wooden ones, obviously!)

I had some teflon-coated camping pots. They were coated ALL-OVER and tended to slip off anything metal they were put on! Lethal! The Mors ones look to be coated internally only.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Having a Zebra pot, a Mors pot and a number of home-made jobs too, my current favourite is the Mors pot - it really is well thought out - handles on the side and the pouring spout make it much more useful than a standard pot.

As John says though, there's something very satisfying about using anything home-made.

Do you've got any detailed pics Andy? :D

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
About <mumble> decades ago I made one from an old Trangia pot. Used three pieces of chain and a large key ring. Worked quite well, actually, even if the traditional bail is more convenient (the plus side of the three chains version is that it can't bend over and spill your grub).

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
My local army surplus sells them Rik and they look really nice quality bout £16....if they were stainless they would be superb.
D

Been using a set of these (Bulldog brand) for 40 years. I've a real mix of pans including stainless steel but theses billy cans are still my favourites.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Snip> I had some replica zebra-style billys from one of the bushcraft kit emporia (forget which one.) They looked similar but had a little plastic section at the joint between the handle and the pan (to keep the handle upright). This useless design got burnt in use. The billy still works fine but it was an annoyance before the warped plastic was chipped-off. <Snip

I use Zebra billies these days because they are good, solid and well made.

They are not the lightest and the handle design does not pack well because they are not actually designed to be billy cans, they are designed to be lunch / tiffin boxes. That is why they have the little plastic clip when they are supplied which is the first thing you take off if you're going to cook with them.

I then removed the bail arm and replaced it with a brake cable that packs better.

Having done this you might think I would have been just as well off if I had started from scratch with a tea caddy and you'd have a point.

The problem is that I have quite a few cooking pots that I have tried over the years and the thickness and conductivity makes a great difference to your ability to cook properly.

I'm not talking about boiling water here which seems to be most peoples "measure", I'm talking about hot spots and even heating.

My Zebra billy is about three times the thickness of a billy I made from a tea caddy and food burns and sticks like crazy in the thin one.

The stainless steel army trangia pots are great to cook with, just like a domestic saucepan but the weight is a serious pain and mine now lives in the van and never sees the inside of my bergan.

My experience of Ally pots has always been plagued with tough cleaning jobs, presumably because they do scratch easily. The newer hard anodised versions may well be better but I have not tried them so cannot comment.

Teflon? I have a good heavy gauge Teflon frying pan that I love. It's treated with care, lives in the van and I don't hump it around with me very often.

Most of the camping style pans I've seen with Teflon lose their coating very fast, I just don't think it's thick enough to be resilient :dunno: Again I can't comment on the brand shown. If they are rated by Mors they might well be worth a look because Mors certainly doesn't mollycoddle his gear.

I have a Titanium pot that I like for weight but I never do anything but boiling water in it because that sticks like B:censored:y

Personally I think the Zebra billies are a good compromise between weight and performance.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
One issue to consider with pots is 'How good a cook am I' (not you Wayland).

So many bushcrafters/campers don't cook at home so can't really cook when out. A lot of the time, stuck food is caused by bad cooking techniques.

I would suggest that people use their pots at home and develop menu ideas they can use camping, saves a lot of washing up issues I believe ;)

Stainless steel? This is a good group pot
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360192603857&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

HOWEVER, they do wobble on the bale so need to mod the handle a little but its not hard to do.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
One issue to consider with pots is 'How good a cook am I' (not you Wayland).

So many bushcrafters/campers don't cook at home so can't really cook when out. A lot of the time, stuck food is caused by bad cooking techniques.

I would suggest that people use their pots at home and develop menu ideas they can use camping, saves a lot of washing up issues I believe ;) < Snip

:D Very true.

I actually learned to cook around a medieval camp kitchen serving up to 150 re-enactors so the problem I have is the other way around.

I'm always trying to convert campfire cooking to what I can do on a gas stove at home.
Pancakes.gif

I can but try mate thats two bits of kit i have bought in the last month that you have had some sort of influence over!
bought the teflon coated one, a bake ring and a bake pot.
it will take a little time to get it done tho as i dont get any where near as much time to play as i would like and i will need to have a while to practice cooking etc.
Sam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE