What make of Shirt or T-shirt do you wear?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trojan

Silver Trader
Mar 20, 2009
The Countryside
Hi

Having read the thread on what colour clothes we wear, i wondered what make of T-shirt or shirt we all wear??

I am a bit of a Rohan geek.....

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
no idea, whatever i pick up first lol. the only shirt that i consciously take for bushcraft is my norwegian shirt, so snug and warm:)

pete

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Thought pretty hard about this subject during some very wet adventures over the summer ! Initial conclusions :

- Cotton T shirts and Shirts are only OK when it is hot and going to stay hot (having said that the Norgee manages quite well because of the loop-stitch interior, until it wets out)
- If the weather is changeable or you will be exerting yourself hard in a cold climate, then merino or synthetic T-shirts are the way to go or you will end up shivering.
- Especially don't wear a cotton shirt mid-layer in a clothing system or it will end up like a wet sponge and be wet long after your body heat has dried everything else out
- Merino is great and odour free but if you are working out hard it wets out and stays wet a long time compared to good synthetics.

Therefore, after a few shivers in this Scottish summer, I now go for a synthetic base layer T-shirt ( and I find Lowe Alpine ones are my favorite), over that a light fleece (any) or Ullefrotte rather than a cotton shirt, and over that a Swanni or heavy fleece.

When the weather really suits, I have a heavy cotton Craghoppers shirt that I really like, but in Scotland that's a pretty rare event.

Just my opinions
NS

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
When I wear a t-shirt, Primark or whatever else is not too dirty. But I often prefer something a bit warmer/better in the wet this time of year. I like the Italian Army wool undershirts I got a while back.

SRC

Mar 14, 2008
Herts
Merino tshirts.

Howies Merino SS Tshirts are my favourite though I have a few Icebreaker ones as well. The quality of the Howies is great. Icebreaker less so.

I recently got a merino jumper from Uniqlo for £14.99 which is thin enough to wear as a tshirt. Great stuff.

Dodger

Oct 4, 2009
UK
Icebreaker Superfine 190 Tech-Ts
North Face Sequoia shirt when it's warmish
Ray Mears' Woodsman shirt when it's cooler

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE