Macro/Close ups of Insects **Pic Heavy**

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
The other week, got bored again and took out the old macro filters, they screw onto the front of the lens and are basically magnifying glasses.
I don't need a macro lens, too expensive and I would never use it, anyway the filters do the job pretty well...

Shot on a 50mm Nikkor f1.8 with a +1, +2 and +4 stacked macro filters from Hoya. Shot on Nikon D100.

MacroInsects_92.jpg

Weird Striped Ladybird.

MacroInsects_97.jpg

Fruit Fly, I think.

MacroInsects_78.jpg

Haven't a Clue!

MacroInsects_72.jpg

MacroInsects_73.jpg

Scorpion Fly.

MacroInsects_7.jpg

Wild Honey Bees :)

MacroInsects_5.jpg

MacroInsects_4_Z.jpg

Jewel Beetle.

MacroInsects_46.jpg

Hoverfly

MacroInsects_33.jpg

Damsel Fly eating an unfortunate baby fruit fly, notice the suicidal fly behind :)

MacroInsects_19.jpg

Common Daddy long legs, female.

MacroInsects_24.jpg

Horsefly?

MacroInsects_14.jpg

Baby Frog, just out of the pond, smaller than a five pence piece.

MacroInsects_101.jpg

Hawk Moth Caterpillar.

Thank you for looking and please correct me if any of the identifications are wrong! :twak:

teflon

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2009
Salisbury
Very nice. Especially liked the muted colours in the first and the slightly backlit honey bees in the sixth.

Thought the Hawk Moth Caterpillar was quite nice too.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Nice pics. I am not big on insect IDs but I do know 6 is a bee fly not a bee. Flies have huge eyes and only 2 body segments. The bee, wasp, any clan have 3 body segments so there would be a narrow waist between head and thorax like this.

honey-bee-cropped.jpg

I would have called 3 the scorpion fly and 11 looks like one of those dung flies that clouds over fresh cow pats?

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Great pics. I think 3. is a Scorpion fly as well and the damslefly is an Azure damselfly. If this is what a filter can do I'm really impressed. I'm saving for a proper macro for next summer.

Cheers,

Pablo.

By the way I think the Jewel beetle is a Scarab or dung beetle, although I'm not an expert.

Lake

Jun 7, 2009
Hi guys! Nice pics indeed! Here are some of my shots:

Lucanus cervus (female)
33jgvuu.jpg

Formica rufa on pine needles
xf9u0l.jpg

Cantharis rustica (Ehm!!! :D)
juthjk.jpg

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
Some truly beautiful pictures here. I'd love to do some more macro shots but seem to always get the lighting wrong. Doh!

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Some truly beautiful pictures here. I'd love to do some more macro shots but seem to always get the lighting wrong. Doh!

I use one of 3 methods

1. simple diffuser on a hot shoe mounted flash gun (sb600)
BCL3.jpg

2. An off camera flash triggered by the onboard flash with a stofen diffuser and a bracket i made
DSC00073.jpg

3. or i use this
00599_sigma-macro-flash.jpg

i prefer 2 and 3 best, although i use the sigma most but vary the light output etc on it accordingly.

in a nutshell its all about diffusing the light

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Nice pics. I am not big on insect IDs but I do know 6 is a bee fly not a bee. Flies have huge eyes and only 2 body segments. The bee, wasp, any clan have 3 body segments so there would be a narrow waist between head and thorax like this.

honey-bee-cropped.jpg

I would have called 3 the scorpion fly and 11 looks like one of those dung flies that clouds over fresh cow pats?

Flies, like all insects, have 3 large body segments (tagmata), the head, thorax, and abdomen, whether you have a narrow constriction between the tagmata or not. The main difference is that flies are in the order Diptera. Di- meaning two, -ptera meaning wings. Flies have 2 wings (1 pair). Hymenopterans have 4 wings (2 pair).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE