Please clearly title your post - so we don't have to guess the content!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hello,
A request of users: Please clearly title your post - so we don't have to guess the content! When I see a post that reads "Surprising what you..." or "An obscure one?" ... I won't click on it - it's like SPAM that tries to provide you with an enticing subject line...
e.g. I've learned in business also to summarize the e-mail in the subject line, e.g. "Request for approval on project X" etc...
Sorry for the grumpy tone, feelin' a little grumpy. :cool:
Mungo

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Sorry for the grumpy tone, feelin' a little grumpy.
No worries mate.... I know where you are comming from... It bugs me too .... especialy when threads are titled 'what about this' or 'what do you think of this'. This has been asked time and time again by both the staff (ie me when i was one) and other members since as far back as 2003 ... no one seems to take any notice though .... I like you just skip over posts like that and never get around to reading them. I guess unless it is made a 'forum rule' things will continue as they are.

Ed

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes but if you hold the cursor over the title you can see a bit of the first post, sometimes this gives you an idea
leon

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Lurch said:
Good call Mungo, where's the reputation scales when you want 'em!

Me too:D I've gone looking for them a couple of times today as well. Patience, patience, I remind myself :rolleyes:

cheers,
Toddy

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Toddy said:
It can also make trying to search for a thread so labelled a real pain
That was my main gripe.... having to seach all the posts in threads for a couple of words and then going through 100's (sometimes 1000's) of results. If subjects were actualy about what the thread was about it would make it much easier.

Ed

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Yes Yes Yes!
I agree so much with you - not grumpy at all!
I too get "distressed" by obscure thread titles!
I was about to make the same grump!
John

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Mungo said:
Hello,
A request of users: Please clearly title your post - so we don't have to guess the content! When I see a post that reads "Surprising what you..." or "An obscure one?" ... I won't click on it - it's like SPAM that tries to provide you with an enticing subject line...
e.g. I've learned in business also to summarize the e-mail in the subject line, e.g. "Request for approval on project X" etc...
Sorry for the grumpy tone, feelin' a little grumpy. :cool:
Mungo

Learn to "live a little", man!

I'm back to grumpy again.

A request of my fellow users: Please clearly title your post - so we don't have to guess the content! When I see a post that reads "Surprising what you...", "Wouldn't it be great if..." or "An obscure one?" ... I won't click on it - it's like SPAM that tries to provide you with an enticing subject line...

Summarize your post in the subject line - stop messing around.

... phew. thanks.

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
I'm an offender occasionally. I recently started a post with "It is with great regret I have to announce.." and another with "I'm so happy"

I'm not here to upset anyone , but if you don't want to read a thread don't read it.

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
when I roll my mouse pointer over a dubious looking subject line I get a little pop up thingamabob (web heads help me out with the jargon) which shows the first few sentences of the original post.

If you get that with your browser, why not use it to determine if you want to click into the thread?

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
While I agree I'm also an offender. With regards to not reading posts because they seem like spam; yes I agree as well but frankly I have to spend about 2 hours a day trying to keep up with what's been posted in the previous 12 hours so I don't read 90% of the theads anyway, however they have been titled.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I think that if one is posting in say the DIY or skills section people should make a particular effort to title the threads well. There's a number of benefits to good titling such as much easier searching for all members, less repeated threads due to some being obscure and hard to find, easier and quicker scanning for threads of interest and thus it's likely there will be more posts in many of them.

If there's the odd thread in say the Other Chatter forum it's not a big deal, but a little more thought into titles would be good. I'll make the effort as i know that i do post the odd thread with a leading title that doesn't really mean much :)

Heck, i wrote this about an hour ago and didn't post it :D

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Although I agree in principle, there is the facility to hover the mouse over the thread title and get a preview so can't really see the problem.

Err, anyone struggling with the hover preview thing?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE