Nail Nick advice needed?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Hi, I'm trying to find out how to put a Nail Nick onto a New Blade I have had made for a folding knife I have.If someone can tell me the professional way and the ''diy'' way,meaning Novice,to do that would be great.
cheers

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Well,the old Sheffield cutlers used a punch with a thin halfmoon shape ground on the end.Probably made from a small cold chisel.It could be struck with a hand hammer or used in a flypress.I pretty sure this is how its still done on handmade folders.
Are you a member of BB?This would be question for Russel white...im sure there was a pic posted in the historical section too.:)

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Well I managed to put the Nail nick onto the Blade,I used an Angle Grinder,it was abit of a big tool to use for want turned out tobe a very little job,but it worked out ok.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
A dremel would work well for next time. The slitting disk should do a good job, go in at 90 degrees and then come in at an angle to make the ramp.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE