I made a spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ruvio

Nomad
With nothing but my new knife...
I know the stick was too small, but i think i've done an ok job of making a bowl since i didnt use any other tools
It's rough, but whatcha think? criticisms very welcome :D

DSCF1043.jpg

new knife

DSCF1044.jpg

full spoon

DSCF1045.jpg

bowl ness of the spoon

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
:You_Rock_
Don't feel down mate it's a brilliant first spoon!
(My first one was little more than a flat stick!)

you whittling skills are obviously good, and impressive if it was all done with that knife.
it's very neat, my advice to you is keep it! rub some rape seed oil (or another edible oil) into it (it'll stop it drying/rotting).

as for the practical use looks like it could be good for a teaspoon? for sugar/salt, dried herbs?

next time for practice make a much larger one and start with the bowl end try to get in quite a few flattish cuts to make the bowl area flatter, (it's difficult on a small spoon).
a crook knife is sort of the easy way out, the hot coal method it very hard!

these are some of the spoons I've made the two large ones on the right were burned
Rather than a Crock knife ( Which is expensive) I use a Hoof knife which looks the same and does the same job for around £5 (note you can make Knives and forks too!)

4HeartseseJuly09.jpg

Ruvio

Nomad
Very good spoons mate, impressed
will try making a bigger one tomorrow, nothing better to do till i get back to uni :)

i used the point of the knife to drill little holes, and dug em out...time consuming...but fun :D

thanks for the pointers

Nice first go, my first one looked a bit like a spoon but could also be used as a paddle and club it was so big :) . Had to stop carving as there was a massive knot on the back. My second one was similar, long and thin, still kept it though.

As suggested start with a bigger piece of wood, possibly slightly bigger than you need that way. Also I would definately sugges a crook knife, makes it so much esier to do the bowl. I havent tried the coal burning method yet.

Good luck. :)

bushcrafty1

Aug 10, 2009
Deepest Darkest Kent
looking good fella. i had a go at doing a spoon for the first time yesterday well it was the first kind of woodwork i have ever done. used just the knife in the picture the same as you definatly need a crook knife lol. here is my attempt ..

bushy001.jpg

bushy002.jpg

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I had a go at a spoon the other day but the wood turned out to be rotten and it broke :( I'll get some green sycamore next time I'm out and have a go with that stuff.

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Whilst you can manage with a hoof knife (well done Rappleby2000), I think it's worth paying the extra for a hook knife. If you go for one of the Frosts with quite a tight curve, just sharpened on one side - the 164 I think - they don't cost much more than a tenner and you'll find it much easier!
Nicola

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE