just finished a kuksa

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Robin started this as a demonstration piece on our last 'developers' course when everybody decided they wanted to make one. It has sat in a half finished state for well over a month but thankfully as it's some sort of willow it was still workable when I finally got around to whittling it. As the inside was carved with a little adze it is a bit bigger than our previous ones so I left it a bit chunkier and am quite pleased with the results...
P1010188.jpg

and here it is with some others we've made:
P1010191.jpg

That reminds me I never oiled up and photographed the bowl Robin carved on that course after I finished it ... I nicknamed it 'the slug bowl'! That'll be next on my list ...

Nicola

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
What is the best oil to use

I made one from some willow Robin gave me many months ago dried well now but a horrible white colour

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
What is the best oil to use

I made one from some willow Robin gave me many months ago dried well now but a horrible white colour
If you don't like the white you could stain it before you oil it. We do this sometimes with both bowls and spoons. Coffee works well or you can use that bottled gravy browning. Build it up in layers, dip it or paint it on, let it dry for an hour then dip or paint it again. Over the course of an evening you can get it to a lovely warm brown colour.

For oil we use a cold pressed linseed - sold for horse feed not the DIY sort - or walnut is very good if you don't have a nut allergy. If you search on here for oiling spoons you'll come across the long version of my oiling advice which explains why!

Nicola

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE