DIY Tripods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gaoler

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2009
Notts
:newbie:
Hi All.
I am about to attempt, among other things, to make a DIY cooking tripod from steel tubing from my local hardware shop.

I have planned to use 1m lengths of 10mm diameter tubing with steel eye bolts in the top joined with a circular D ring from the army surplus shop. I have assorted lengths of chain in the scrap heap called my shed and some hooks that may do for now.
I am only planning to hang kettles, small mess tins and maybe a 5 litre dutch oven from my contraption (wifes description)

Although I know that iron is the traditional material, will steel tubing be affected by the combination of weight and heat?

Is 1m length enough height?

Any other issues experienced by others that will help?

Thankyou for your time and feedback in advance.
Ps be gentle as this is my first post!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I just use hazel rods - mind you I have to keep the fire away from their bases and the fire low so as not to melt the paracord lashing.....

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I went down the collapsable route - as in take-down not fall to bits!
I used 2 x 2 meter lengths, each cut into three equal lengths. I bashed the end inch or so of three of them flat and drilled a hole for a bolt. Bolt installed and some threaded bar jammed into the ends of the three other pieces means that I have a 660mm high tripod which folds down to 350mm.
I'll bung in a photo later on.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Gaoler

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2009
Notts
I went down the collapsable route - as in take-down not fall to bits!
I used 2 x 2 meter lengths, each cut into three equal lengths. I bashed the end inch or so of three of them flat and drilled a hole for a bolt. Bolt installed and some threaded bar jammed into the ends of the three other pieces means that I have a 660mm high tripod which folds down to 350mm.
I'll bung in a photo later on.

ATB

Ogri the trog

I had initally planned to go down the collapsible route but was worried that it maybe stable under load and disassemble itself unexpectedly when being adjusted or pots removed. Thoughts of hot steel rods and chain landing on my arms and legs put me off strangley.
How did you over come this?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I had initally planned to go down the collapsible route but was worried that it maybe stable under load and disassemble itself unexpectedly when being adjusted or pots removed. Thoughts of hot steel rods and chain landing on my arms and legs put me off strangley.
How did you over come this?

Stability hasn't been a problem so far, even when using a 5 litre, cast iron, dutch oven.
Initially I considered using locking pins to hold the two sections together but (1) I haven't got round to doing it yet, and (2) with a little care it's not really necessary.
There have been moments of...... ummmm..... learning oportunities :rolleyes: where things have gone awary but nothing too serious.
If you have a roaring blaze and have to hold your pot six feet above to stop the food burning, then an adjustment might be in order. I try to keep to a small cooking fire and leave the roaring inferno till after things have been squared away for the evening.

Still working on the photo.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Gaoler

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2009
Notts
I just use hazel rods - mind you I have to keep the fire away from their bases and the fire low so as not to melt the paracord lashing.....

I have used Hazel sticks in the garden when showing off to the wife and kids and do find them great to use but I found that they needed to be longer to avoid the worst of the heat.

As with most thing I do I learned the hard way that green wood works fine but my seasoned shafts for walking sticks are to flamable when I'm not paying attention.:cussing: (I saved the sausage casserole. scars across fingers to prove it.)
I settled on steel as its lighter than iron yet hopefully sturdy enough for a weeks use.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
In the past, I've used the wild rebar bush, they spring up almost over night, normally alongside trenchs and ditches, which also seem to spring up at random times alongside roads. they are conspicuous by their long flat orange foliage, I’ve found by harvesting every third wild rebar, no-one notices, and their heavy foliage does not sag.

Their tops can be joined by a hoop of 2mm copper wire, and a chain suspended from that. They are more than strong enough to take the weight of a full 5lt Dutch oven, and a 3lt zebra kettle.

Gaoler

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2009
Notts
Well its done. It stands 1m tall, has a nice large loop for hook and chain to fit over and takes a 5kg bag of sugar with no los of stability so far.
I just need some favourable weather to try it now.

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
I made one from 3 lengths of old copper pipe, drilled a hole through all three at one end and used wire to secure them together, used lightweight chain going through the wire to hang pots on. It takes a 8 quart dutch oven no probs and cost me nothing.

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Although I know that iron is the traditional material, will steel tubing be affected by the combination of weight and heat?

I realise you've finished your project, but for others' reference the only form of iron that's commerically available in quantity is cast iron, which isn't really suited to this application. For most intents and purposes mild steel has replaced wrought iron (which was traditionally used for this sort of application) and will work very well.

green wood for me to and a bit of B&Q chain
yes you need to have a bigger tripod but it does mean its not inthe way ofthe fire and you have more felxability
P4120083.jpg

the side bars work as hangers for spar pots and can be used to pull the pot of center wit hte extra chain
DSC00142.jpg

Gaoler

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2009
Notts
green wood for me to and a bit of B&Q chain
yes you need to have a bigger tripod but it does mean its not inthe way ofthe fire and you have more felxability
P4120083.jpg

Cool pics. I now feel a need to start a fire and cook stuff.
I'm off to set up my tripod. I'll take pics and post them when I figure out how.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE