Asa Samuel asked, "How often do you go on trips out ?"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

How often do you go on trips out ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Asa Samuel asked this question, but he can't add a poll.

I've started the thread with Asa's question, and I'll add the options he chose.

cheers,
Toddy

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I made a pledge last year to spend at least two consecutive nights out each month, I've somehow managed to stick to it aswell since last August.

Not sure how much longer I can swing it though as swmbo's getting a bit peeved of late.

If we're including days out and bimbles in the woods then that's probably every other day just about.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I guess it depends on what you mean by trips out? If you mean camping out over night, then three or so times per year, if you mean a days bimble with a back pack and the like than couple times a month, but if you mean a morning/afternoons walk collecting stuff and practicing skills and bits and bob, then most weekends during the summer and a couple times a month in the winter.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I too decided to get out at least once a month for an overnighter, I've managed it every month for the last year apart from September when I went to Canada for 3 weeks. Some months I'm lucky enough to get out two or three times.

Hikes and bimbles are a lot more frequent though, but not every other day like Shewie. My four year old son loves going into the woods with me but his little legs don't fair too well on hikes. I end up with him sat on my shoulders as well as my day pack and he's getting a bit big for that now. Or I'm turning into a fat knacker!

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Trying to do a couple of over nighters a month preferbaly consecutive. Whether they be on foot or in a canoe I am getting back into the outdoors in a big way . I am hoping to maintain this into the autumn and winter. I like to walk alone or with my dogs but I am also enjoying the camaraderie that has come from using this fantastic site. I walk a minimum of 3 miles a day with my dogs across farmland and through woods local to my village.

I think im the only bushcrafter in my village!!!...........lol

Andy

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I made a pledge last year to spend at least two consecutive nights out each month, I've somehow managed to stick to it aswell since last August.

Not sure how much longer I can swing it though as swmbo's getting a bit peeved of late.

If we're including days out and bimbles in the woods then that's probably every other day just about.

If I don't go away for a few days at least twice a month my missus kicks me out no sure if thats a good thing or not:confused:

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Afraid I seldom do overnight trips anymore, I enjoy my wife's company too much for that.

I do however spend quite a bit of time in either wooded or other outdoors environments, usually as an extension of walking Tess, our jack russel paterdale cross, or as the amateur keepering involved with running the local shoot, which I am fortunate to have half-gun in.
I supose I'm lucky that the outdoors is literally on my doorstep and have ready access to some nice places.
Additionally, my focus seems to have shifted more to the camp-craft side of things, carving, making etc.

Each to his/her own I guess.

Dave.

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
Each month tend to follow

a SWB meet for 3 day
a 2 day 1 night on my tod
(at the moment as lots to do) at least about 4 days staying and working in the woods at my site
At least once a week walk up to westonbirt for the day exploring and letting the dogs have an extended run.

Although last month consited of being away nearly for the whole time with various different meets and work in the woods.

Winter tends to be quiter but poeple find it easy to get out so we tended to have about 3 meets every 2 months.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Thanks for all the replies so far. I've started to go out more often now I have a tarp and hammock. Still no over-night trips but I've been going out lying in my hammock while the water is boiling for my tea. Can't wait till the weather sorts itself out so I can go out and sleep.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I try to get out to check on my little bit of woodland every day - but rarely make it more than twice a week!
Full day bimbles - about once a week...
Overnighters I get about once a fortnight on average and longer trips, every couple of months I guess

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
I guess like most people here, my correct answer would be: "Not as often as I would like".
That fits with the sad reality, forcing me to tick the "every other week" box.

/ Karl

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
I have to agree with Karl
Not as often as I would like.
But more then I used too.
I must admit since having to move back to glasgow from the country I do make more of an effort to get out overnight.
bob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE