Endau Rompin

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Endau Rompin

Just returned from a trip to this pristine rainforest in southern Malaya. Went there with an environmental NGO that 23 years ago undertook a year long expedition to survey the flora and fauna and succeeded in getting the forest gazetted as a National Park. This time the trip was not scientific just an introduction for members who had never been there and nostalgia for a couple who had been on the first expedition

The park is home to a few of the rare Sumatran rhino as well as tiger, tapir and lots of elephant.

7 hours driving of which 2 were off tarmac brought us to the first obstacle.

P5010007.jpg

This bridge had been washed away by floods. Each wet season brings floods Flood waters rose 20 metres two years ago

This must have been what it was like in medieval times as travellers and complete strangers work together to rebuild with the remaining debris. Later travellers make their own inspection, adding a rope or two, cutting saplings to replace old planks or putting in a flotation drum making the bridge like a patchwork quilt of different knots and materials.

P5040238.jpg

P5040246.jpg

P5010011.jpg

Other bridges looked like they might fall in as well.

We stooped just short of the park, eschewing the neat little ‘chalets’ for a rustic jungle shelter made by our hosts, the Jakun people – an aboriginal group. Apart from tarps, the rest is pure jungle camp – bark sheets over saplings forming our beds for the next four days.

P5010015shelter.jpg

We had all sorts of little friends come in and light up our day and night. Like this fellow who I called the 2 LED bug. The sounds you hear are the night birds, insects and the waterfall.

The camp was next to a spectacular cascade and series of rapids.

P5030208.jpg

Due to my tendency to snore, a wet-and-dry routine and no soap washes (to maximize animal encounters), it was only humane that I moved out of the shelter to a hammock

P5020162.jpg

The next day we drove another 10k or so to the park and took a boat up a larger river. Despite it looking modern, I was very pleased to see that the keel was made like a dug out with an adze, planking being added to build up the sides of the dug out. At least some of the old skills were still there. I did not see any bark canoes although they used to make them. I’ll enquire about them next time as I am keen to see one made.

P5020034.jpg

The topography is several rivers and many streams running between interlocking ridges and spurs with two plateaus. It is gentler, and the rivers more open, than Borneo. The vegetation is unusual. It is an upside down forest. Poor soils have led to mountain species being found in the lowland forest. The hills are ignimbrite with a sandstone cap and the plateaus are swamps!!

P5020033.jpg

After 30 minutes we got off and started walking along an easy trail by the river which was alternately still or swift.

P5020107.jpg

P5020060.jpg

We saw lots of elephant sign every where – dung, prints and stripped trees

P5020037elephant.jpg

Some unusual sights too. I’ve never seen a tree so distorted by the pressure from a vine.

P5020041.jpg

We also found Bigfoot. No idea what made this print. A tapir overprint on an elephant? Whatever this is there have been reports and legends of a large hominid for hundreds of years from this region. However, since we found a ‘bigfoot’ print so easily on a well used trail it suggests there is a simpler explanation

P5020051bigfoot.jpg

After a few river crossings we got to a very long cascade which had Swiss cheese style holes carved into the rock over millennia by the action of pebbles. I was able to compare a photo taken 22 years ago with one I took and there seemed to be no change at all.
P5020091.jpg

It was an occasion for play.

P5020083upeh.jpg

Lots of fish.
P5020112.jpg

The next day I did not follow the group who were climbing a plateau and went to the village too look for help in removing part of my exhaust which had hit a rock and was touching the drive shaft.
Things are not entirely happy there. When the area became a park they found themselves restricted in their ability to hunt, fish and cultivate hill rice. They had to abandon their semi nomadic lifestyle, at least in the park.

To some extent this was to be compensated for by new jobs. Unfortunately the Park is a corporation managing several state parks and is somewhat bureaucratic and paternalistic and in any case even more powerful government departments also have major impacts on their lives. The local villagers found that they did not get the job of guides in the park and that these went to outsiders.

This is why we camped outside the Park and used local guides. I, for one, prefer a local aborigine to bring me around over a town dweller no matter how certified

“development’ also means that well-intentioned people work to ‘improve’ the lives of the villagers. This, and restrictions on using renewable and sustainable resources from the forest has meant that they are discouraged from living in these bark and wood attap houses

P5030173.jpg

in favour of concrete block houses.

P5030168.jpg

The huts are cooler while the concrete is like a kiln. Many people spend their time in jungle huts near their orchards during the day rather than in the villages

P5030175.jpg

I couldn’t take this depressing situation anymore and returned to our jungle camp and went for a walk by myself.

I stopped by this tree. It gives the poisonous sap which is the main active ingredient in blowpipe dart poison. The ‘scaffolding” enables them to tap the tree at a greater height to get at fresh wood.

P5020026.jpg

Shortly after this I startled and terrified a large pig which was probably asleep in its wallow a couple of meters from me. It dashed off with a roar and crashed though the undergrowth. Naturally, I was even more frightened and needed a minute to breathe normally again. No pics sorry. Not sure if it was a bearded pig or the common boar as I did not see the head. It seemed quite bit lighter than the common boar but that may have been the mud

Following the river upstream I hopped from rock to rock and swam through the pools. It’s wonderful to have a waterproof and shock resistant camera. Just jump in with all the gear and swim across. Saves so much time and much safer.
P5030196.jpg

I meet up with my friend Jan, who also had skipped the climb due to a ankle injury. He had walked up stream for an hour and on his return fell asleep by the river! He is a waterfall addict like me and has a well known waterfall website. I woke him up and we played in the river. I tested the waterproofing of my new camera by jumping off the rocks a few times and it was fine.
P5030200.jpg

Later I went to seek out the fire piston people about whom I had made enquires over the past two days. One of the pistons was this elephant ivory one the colour of honey. They were kind enough to answer questions and I’ll write on this soon

P5030209.jpg

The next day we drove back. Once over the raft bridge, it was plain sailing. It was a great trip and the look on my face says it all.

P5040248.jpg

seany boy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2006
Lincolnshire
Fascinating......what a great place.

Looks like an amazing experience. Yes and as Eric said, you are one lucky man.

Thanks for sharing.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
A startlingly good post (as ever) Bod. I'm not sure I have the fortitude for some of your adventures, but I sure love to hear about them.

Thank you

Red

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Hi Bod, excellent post, it appears that authority the world over knows whats best for indigenous people who have lived a sustainable life style for generations and how to 'improve' their lot. Look forward to your next post re. fire piston.

Pothunter.

BOD

Eric,

The camera is a new 850SW Olympus which was one of the cameras recommended by members when I asked for advice.

The waterproofing is one of the main requirements for a camera for me and I certainly put it to test.

I did a lot of jumping in and dived to around about 3m and it survived.

I also did a lot of lazing around in waterfalls and fast water like what these two are doing

P5020081.jpg

And I opted for wading rather than using bridges to test it further.

IMG_7840.jpg

As a outdoor camera it seems to be fine. The low light photography is better than my Coolpix and so is the video. Reload between picture is a bit slow. I would prefer a semi auto but this is a bit like a single shot, not even a bolt action! Sometimes you need pictures fast.

The camera taking the first two of these photos is a 1030SW Olympus incidentally which is what I would have bought if I had more money.

Cheers,

Ash

Singteck,

Come along the next time I am going back. You can add fire piston making to your already impressive list of skills

BOD

excellent.

If you don't mind me asking what do you do for a living out there as you seem to spend a long time in the bush. Or do you have a "normal" job and just make best use of the opportunities?

EdS,

Once upon a time I had 'normal' jobs. My wife likes to move every few years so i needed a 'portable skill' and got into facilitation with an outdoor focus. That ranges from standard adventure team building to doing a retreat in an outdoor setting for a company to work out strategy with its stakeholders, for example.

Its not bushcraft but I try and incorporate bushcraft themes

So sometimes I stay a few more days and explore new places after the job is over.

I also am a volunteer with an environmental NGO.

Cheers,

BOD

I was fortunate to be asked to come and help for the second year running.

Last year one of the bridges was washed away and a makeshift one was built which added enormously to our sense of adventure. Sadly, this year it was replaced by this more convenient but dull piece of concrete.

P5010001Small.jpg

Thankfully, there were other rustic bridges and despite the best efforts of a grader the road was still awkward in places.
P5010004Large.jpg

P5010003Small.jpg

One of the vehicles became stuck and the plate that prevents damage to the front of the engine (what is it called?) on my 4wd was knocked loose. A bit of delay and excitement is always a plus on any trip.

008rescueMedium.jpg

After 7 hours of driving we finally reached the boats and gratefully piled in. As usual, as we went upstream there was elephant sign everywhere. Here Robbie is showing us what dry elephant poo looks like. He declined my suggestion to show us what one could do with wet elephant poo BG style

8bdc32a6.jpg

Later we found out that the lucky third boat saw elephants drinking at the river but the first two groups just saw poo. We were so envious.

Some of our members and visitors were not used to river crossings jungle style and constantly took off their boots to wade across delaying us further. Since we were already behind time due to the road conditions, I decide to walk ahead as I wanted to set up my hammock before it became totally dark. This turned out to be a good move. As I began to leave the others behind it was quiet walking and after 45 minutes cut an elephant trail with fresh sign.

P5010024Medium.jpg

I followed the poo. Tracking elephants is obviously quite easy but you don’t want to surprise them so I did not hurry though an encounter would be a real thrill.

P5010030.jpg

P5010033.jpg

P5010031.jpg

P5010029.jpg

Eventually their direction changed and I continued to our campsite as getting set up for the night was the priority not walking cross country with a full Bergen after elephants. I was able to pick a good spot on the river bank at a confluence. After some faffing around in the dark the hammock was up.

Morning revealed how nice a spot it was. Some went for a swim, while I just lay in as the hammock had the best view.

P5030141morningswimMedium.jpg

P5030142Medium.jpg

In a real stupid senior moment, I had left one of my water bottles in the car leaving me only a single one litre bottle. I also left behind the favorite ‘lucky’ mug which follows me everywhere. I firmly believe in avoiding the “incident pit” so I pulled the plug on the 8 hour walk over some serious hills I was supposed to go on the next day and decided to do the 4 hour hike to a plateau and back instead. Last year I missed out on this as my car exhaust needed to be refitted.

This was a good call as Dut, our Jakun guide, took us along a longer back trail only used when the river is in high flood and the usual river crossings are not fordable. This trail follows the higher contours and enables them to cross the rivers when they are streams.

P5020048Medium.jpg

We came upon gaharu (agarwood) poachers who had just cut down an agarwood tree, the resinous crystals from which fetch about US$8000 per kg. on the illegal trade market depending on quality. Of course that is the market price not what the poacher gets.

Don’t believe me? Well, I don’t blame you but check out this TRAFFIC report on the CITES site (bottom of page 12).

http://www.cites.org/common/com/PC/15/X-PC15-06-Inf.pdf

“Although kyara would not likely be sold in kilogram units, the prices in 2001 (i.e. up to USD149,000 / kg) and 2004 (i.e. up to 272,000 / kg) are extremely high and may indicate increasing scarcity of kyara supplies”

That’s the finest type, from Vietnam, never found in kg. quantities and almost extinct.

http://www.squidoo.com/agarwood

So we just mumbled pleasantries and passed on. With so much money at stake, we need to tread lightly no matter how we feel about an endangered species. Five machetes to our two were not good odds to start haranguing them about conservation nor was threatening them with a police report. Did not take a photo of them for the same reason

Half an hour later we came across 2 day old tiger tracks. The pads were the size of my hand with the fingers bent. Later the guides declared that the tigers were coming down to the rivers because the boar were coming down as well due to the dry spell.

Our only encounter was a small python and a large centipede but I found a fungus that looks like horse’ hoof

Finally we started the ascent of the plateau. This is an upside down environment in that the unusual geology of the area meant that lowland swamp type plants were found at the top of the plateau. The hills are ignimbrite which is formed after pyroclastic flow (ash cloud like Pompeii) not lava hardens. This impermeable layer traps water at the top creating swamp like conditions for pitcher plants and palms to grow and dominate the usual hill species which now occur lower down.

As we ascended the forest begins to be dominated by fan palms Livinstonia endauensis which is endemic to this area. An unusual but common feature here are these roots of rainforest trees leaving the soil of the forest floor to grow upwards into the fan palm trees. The shape of tree palms mean that falling leaves and debris are trapped in the cradle in the base of the palm leaves many metres above the forest floor. These are not vines or aerial roots which grow down but normal roots which have grown upward and are rarely found anywhere. Close up of a climbing root.
P5020086rootsMedium.jpg

P5020058Medium.jpg

The fan palm canopy

P5020097fanpalmcanopy.jpg

The slope was quite steep and we had to scramble in places. We congratulated ourselves for being alive once we reached the top

be0b1c49.jpg

The view from the top showed me part of the walk I had avoided and I congratulated myself for my lack of boldness. Since I was supposed to be a minder, coming down with heat exhaustion or stroke from dehydration would be poor form. The light patch in the middle of the picture is a cascade in the river about where we had started from.

P5020078UpehfromjaningMedium.jpg

The long walk goes over a few more hills behind it. Eek
P5020082upehFromJaningMedium.jpg

A pitcher plant Nepenthes ampullaria. Inside sometimes live little predators such as insect larvae and crabs (yes that’s right) that feed on the unfortunates who fall into the pitcher trap.

P5020089ampullariaSmall.jpg

The swampy plateau top –
05a8a974.jpg

We took a break in a stream on returning. The stream was very clear

P5020137Small.jpg

Nothing like an unlogged rainforest to filter clear water.

Next morning, some of us went for a stroll to the cascade that we saw from the top of the plateau. I saw them off and decided to rock hop up the river rather than follow paths.

P5030150Medium.jpg

P5030154Medium.jpg

P5030157Medium.jpg

P5030160Medium.jpg

My kit is waterproofed for full immersion, except for spare batteries for the camera in a dry bag so its fun and refreshing and cleans my clothes as well.

P5030180Medium.jpg

A hello from the others once I get there.

P5030187helloMedium.jpg

Some found the walk just too hot.
P5030192Small.jpg

And the Reclining Buddha just surveyed everything beneath his all knowing gaze.
P5030248Small.jpg

The captain threw a line to help some cross over
P5030224Small.jpg

But ended up being hauled out himself
P5030234Small.jpg

The photographer went nuts in this great location.
P5030218Small.jpg

He usually takes photos of birds but in their absence he made do with humans. I ended up being the remote flash holder.

There seemed little point hiking back when the river was offering a ride so once past the whitewater, I hopped in to float back to camp. Others came along too.

P5030258Medium.jpg

Stopped floating to take a few shots of a damselfly.

P5030263Medium.jpg

And video the fish. I was amazed that the mike can record an above the water conversation while immersed.

Just after we got out, we were buzzed by a Swedish TV crew which were filming a survival programme in the Park. What we were doing looked too much like fun not survival so they left.
P5030303Large.jpg

After more hammock recuperation, I decided to go for a walk down stream

Earlier, I had seen an aborigine come from this direction and decided to back track him.

There was a very old trail and he did not keep to it and did not use his parang so tracking was slow and difficult but I was so pleased that I was able to follow him for a few hundred meters when his track cut into the main trail.

However, I had been stupid (again) as I only wore shorts and dispensed with the lycra cycling shorts. Leeches had come along for the moveable feast and one had lodged itself right at the top of my thigh next to some vital personal kit.

No problem removing it but the irritation led to inflammation and I walked like the Michelin man the next day. But a hickey from an affectionate leech elsewhere became a slow fuse that gave me an infected abscess that started to poison me a few days later in another part of the park .

That night we went frogging. As I am not interested in catching or eating them it was just a chance to walk in the stream by moonlight. These frogs thought the moonlight romantic too and got into the mood.

P5030337.jpg

Others just got caught

P5030327Medium.jpg

Saw this preying mantis swimming across the stream.

P5030350swimmingmantis.jpg

I thought this is good camouflage
P5030328closeupMedium.jpg

Holds even close up

P5030328Medium.jpg

But wearing your fancy clothes to impress the ladies is going to get you eaten by a bat or tarsier

P5030353bugMedium.jpg

Later we just talked into the night listening mainly to aviation horror stories from the pilot. Its even worse than I thought!!

P5030325Medium.jpg

While waiting for our boats we cooled off in the river but then a water fight started.

P5040369Small.jpg

P5040374Small.jpg

We walked the next day to the aboriginal village and met up with Ameng who had been down with fever the previous year when he showed me his fire pistons. This time he showed us some of his traps

P5040405deertrapMedium.jpg

P5040406porcupineMedium.jpg

P5040408monkeyMedium.jpg

With that we left the park for home. After a good night’s sleep, I left the following day with bandl4 to go to the other side of the park.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE