Could somebody i.d these please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

inthewids

Nomad
Aug 12, 2008
Morayshire
I was out picking chanterelles yesterday and came across a patch of these. Im guising by the look of them they are a no no to eat but id just like to know what they are? I thought they were maybe common ink caps??

2009_0618woods0030.jpg

2009_0618woods0032.jpg

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Shaggy ink caps for me, although there's a couple of other possibilities, I think that's most likely given what I can see of habitat... hth :) Oh, btw, IF that is what they are they are edible, when young, but I've never fancied trying!

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I would say common ink cap, as it is woodland .The edges on the matures ones are uneven and the young ones are dark not white. I am not that sure though. Inkcaps don't tastes that great, and have no substance to them. Common inks cap cause illness if alcahol is drunk within a few days of them.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
my first thought was shaggy ink cap , but I would go with xylaria she knows her mushrooms :)

Please don't just go along with ID cause I said it. I said I am not very sure. Coprinus change appearance depending on how much rain there has been. Shaggy ink caps have a small ring on the stem but it doesn't last very long, i can't see one in the piccy. The open ones look wrong for common ink cap they are too frial. Coprinus lagopus maybe but they look a little big. They come up after rain and flip themselves inside out when the cap matures.

inthewids

Nomad
Aug 12, 2008
Morayshire
Thank you everyone. They do look a lot different from the ink caps in the i.d book i have. I didnt plan on eating them, just wanted to know what they were to keep a note of what i have seen. The larger ones have inverted themselves. I googled 'Coprinus lagopus' and id say they look the most similar.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE