Nature fights back in the credit crunch.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
It seems that nature is gaining some ground back in the wake of the credit crunch. All of those bits of lawn and grass around industrial estates, roundabouts and offices have been 'neglected' this year. Instead of being manicured to within an inch of their life they are only being strimmed twice a year which I am sure is down to a lack of money for paying landscapers. The result is a massive increase in the number of wild flowers and, i assume, subsequently insect life.

I spotted a patch of common orchids near a cash and carry at Newbridge (near Edinburgh) today. It cheered me up no end and I'm sure it's going to have a good effect on our native bee populations. :)

This photo shows a few but there must have been well over a hundred.

orchids.jpg

Has anybody else noticed anything like this?

Rob

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I've been noticing the mass of life this year more than anything. The place is heaving with it. Its good to see things like that mate. Nice one.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I noticed this on my lunch time walk around the block where I work. Lots of wild flowers in the rough grass at the side of the road and around the industrial units.

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
I spotted a patch of common orchids near a cash and carry at Newbridge (near Edinburgh) today. It cheered me up no end and I'm sure it's going to have a good effect on our native bee populations. :)

They look like they may be Northern Marsh Orchids.

I'm sorry to put a damper on your cheer, but I suspect like many of our orchids they attract pollinating bees with colour, but don't reward them with nectar!

Jim

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I know nothing about Orchids, but have noticed a few different and beautiful ones round here... Any good sites I could go to for IDs?

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
They look like they may be Northern Marsh Orchids.

I'm sorry to put a damper on your cheer, but I suspect like many of our orchids they attract pollinating bees with colour, but don't reward them with nectar!

Jim

och well, the bees will still enjoy the pollen. thanks for the id. :cool:

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
och well, the bees will still enjoy the pollen. thanks for the id. :cool:

I'm afraid they don't even get to keep the pollen!

Most orchids have complex mechanisms to stick their packet of pollen (pollinia) onto (typically) a bee's head, or even a butterfly's tongue. The pollen packet is then aligned to pollinate the next orchid flower it visits.

The fly orchid mimics a female solitary wasp, complete with pheromones. The male wasp attempts to mate with the flower, but gets a packet of pollen 'superglued' to its head for its troubles!

Jim

inthewids

Nomad
Aug 12, 2008
Morayshire
I've noticed this up here too. Roundabouts and verges are being left to go wild which i think looks a lot better than strimmed grass.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I'm sure I saw a wee bit in the passing the other day in the news somewhere, commenting on how Orchids in particular were doing well.

It was the weather and climate they mentioned I think.

L

lostguide

we in our area trying to bring this to attention of local media, so we can pressure local councils not to re-start strimming.

Also talking to local wildlife and conservation groups trying to inventory so we can have some data species lists we can use in a push for it to be left.

After all it saves money and improves wildlife, normal argument for cutting is as they claim it is to improve road safety, but seen no increase in accidents without cutting. Here where they have cut grass etc on roundabouts the council have erected big advertising signs so don't see they any real justification for cutting.

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Ooh, this is gaining momentum. I've always thought lawns were a bit pointless (the pitch of the mighty Perth St Johnstone excepted) and we would be better with long grass and wild flower pasture. :)

If not wild flowers, then lets plant tatties and apple trees on roundabouts.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE