Ticks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

macem

May 20, 2009
south wales
Hello all,i haven't been a member here long,i don't know alot about bushcraft,

(i don't know my ash from my elbow so to speak),i am enjoying learning about it on this forum tho.
This morning my son found a small lump on our dog right between her eyes,well after a closer inspection with a magnifying glass it turned out to be a tick,never seen a tick before.
The first thing i done was to look on this forum,thanks to the depth of knowledge and information on this site we now have a tick free dog,and now know what to look for and what action to take next time it happens. By the way she has been treated with frontline flea and tick,is there a better treatment out there?

thanks all.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
My dog is Frontline treated, and it seems to work quite well. We've also used Bayer Advantix, but this is much more expensive. The difference seems to be that with Frontline the tick has to bite the dog in order to get poisoned, but Advantix provides repellency without the tick having to bite.
But with reasonable care (inspecting the dog after walks through high risk areas, and removing some ticks when I find them) I have found Frontline to be perfectly adequate.

Usual disclaimer - I'm not connected in any way to the makers of either product.
Hope this helps.

macem

May 20, 2009
south wales
Hello,Muddypaws,

I know what you mean,i've used Frontline for years no problem at all,been walking her five days a week for three years, same place, she may be getting ticked off with that walk (sorry couldn't help it). To be honest i've never heard anyone talk about them around here
(south wales valleys) let alone see any,but i will be inspecting her after all walks now.

thanks again.

Purdy Bear

Jun 5, 2009
SE London
Id ask the vet for advice. I think (Im no expert) that most flea treatments cover ticks, well all the ones Iv used have.

I think it really depends on what you want to spend, and how easy you want to get it. Some are only available with a prescription from the vets while others can be brought in the pet shops.

macem

May 20, 2009
south wales
Hello, Purdy Bear,

I think that i will stick with the treatment she's on for now, and if she keeps getting them then i'll look into something different.

thanks

macem

May 20, 2009
south wales
Hello, Purdy Bear.

I think i'll keep her on the treatment she is already on,i've used it for years now with no problems,and if she keeps picking them up then i'll look for something else.
Just came as a bit of a surprise having never seen them before.

thanks.

Dingus Magee

Loitering within tent
Nov 22, 2008
Darkest Aberdeenshire
The problem with Frontline is that the ticks are becoming resistant to it and, consequently, it has lost it's efficacy. Advantix is far more effective meantime, but eventually the ticks will become resistant to it also. You should also be aware of the risks posed by ticks as vectors of Lyme Disease. I've put some informative links here that are worth looking at:

http://www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk/

http://www.macaulay.ac.uk/lyme/

http://www.misotrading.co.uk/

There is much inaccurate information going about out there; these are kosher sites, though. I first became aware of Lyme Disease whilst at uni studying zoology in the 90's. Since then, it has spread up and across the country from the New Forest area. In 2007 I was diagnosed with the disease, although my GP didn't seem to know much about it at the time. I caught the disease from a tick, but the important thing to note is that I had removed the tick with tweezers, squeezing it in the process and causing it to regurgitate its last meal back into me...kinda like a hypodermic syringe. They say that if you use tweezers, you should only grasp the tick around the mouthparts. In practice, thats not so easy to do, given the size of the little b*st*rds. I now use a Tick Lassoo as on the 3rd link above, or an OTOM. I find the Tick Lassoo to be far superior at removing a tick, but it is more expensive. Don't underestimate this disease...it can be very debilitating. But, just as importantly, don't let it discourage you from getting out into the 'boondocks' ; just be aware of the problem and how to lessen the chances of being bitten, as well as being aware of the proper way to remove them. Don't use meths, or any other chemical or a hot match head etc. Enjoy your space ;)

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
Ticks are reported to be very prevalent up here in Scotland, this year, more so than usual,and as stated above, Lymes disease can be very nasty, Humans and dogs or animals can both get it and it may not show up for years, by that time the Doctor may not
think to look for the symptoms of Lymes disease, which can result in severe joint pain and problems. It is advisable to tuck your trousersinto your socks to protect yourself somewhat. I was told by a hillwalker that he and his friend were covered in ticks from their ankles to their crutch on one occasion. I have only had two latch on to me over many years of hill walking, and so far no symptoms. I now have an Otom from a pet shop which I use for the dog it is a small v shaped hook type of gadget which you slip under the tick and twist between the tick and the dog. It lifts out the tick without squeezing its body.
I also use Frontline on the dog.

Jock

Forager
Feb 26, 2009
East Kilbride
I don't bother with the chemical stuff as I feel it can't be good to be exposing the dog to powerful medication when its easy enough to check him over after a walk & pop the wee buggers off.

inthewids

Nomad
Aug 12, 2008
Morayshire
My friend has been using some garlic tablets from the pet shop and they seem to stop the blighters from latching on. Wish it worked on me, i eat loads of garlic and still get them :(

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
I've said elsewhere:

When I get a tick I take it out with the tip of my Mora - like taking the eye out of a spud. I make sure I get the head by taking plenty of meat out, and plug the resultant hole with sphagnum moss!
;^)

Jim

macem

May 20, 2009
south wales
It's been a few days now, same walks in the same area and not a tick in sight.Unpleasant little buggers aren't they.

Thanks for all the advise,cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE