Midlands May '09 Meet.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
First time ever for me at any bushcraft stuff - thanks to everyone for all the help, advice and welcome - especially Dacorum for organising it. The skills and knowledge you lot have is amazing.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
A brilliant Meet as always, thanks to all that were there, especially Decorum for organising it again... Maybe next time I'll make an ember:rolleyes:

The Master at work:

bowdrillpractice002.jpg

Two Dogs bowing for NATO:

bowdrillpractice005.jpg

Success:

bowdrillpractice007.jpg

Chicken of the Woods?:

dsc01658o.jpg

Brew Time:

hobostove001.jpg

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Great weekend guys. Thanks for letting me use your bowdrill George, though I didnt get fire I did improve on my last attempt.
And thanks to Addo for the tree walk :)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Thanks all for a chilled out weekend.

... I bet he was happy, he has only just unloaded a load of other peoples stuff:lmao: :lmao:

:lmao: - a small bag af pegs is a whole lot easier to store and cart around than a huge billy :lmao: .

A 'couple' of pics from me ...

There are already some similar pics, but ...

Roastchicken.jpg

It's possible that we'll over play the Pignut pics - because Spam's yet to find one at the Close :p

Pignut.jpg

A couple of pics of my shelf.

Bush_shelf_01.jpg

Bushshelf_01a.jpg

And finally, a bit of wood art.

Bottle_wood_art.jpg

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I had a great meet thanks all and of course Dec. Nice pics fellas, a good sized decay fungus there martin :D The wood looked particularly nice in this fine weather were having. When home, I walked though the front door to be pushed out the back one with orders to sort a BBQ out. Just carried on as at the meet, starting fires and cooking all afternoon!

Tryed this set up out, which I ment to bring along. A folding grill group buy (bcl) and ss roasting tin from Morrisons. It worked a treat.

See you all at the next one.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Great weekend - thanks to Decorum for organising it all. :)

Also thanks to MartinK9 for the mini coolpacks and to Mesquite for the sharpening advice and use of the oil/water stones - I'm always blown away by the generosity people have with their time, skills and kit on Meets, I'm very grateful.
:You_Rock_

And not forgetting PJMcBear for the wood sorrel and the bannock-tossing skills!
1553.gif

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Id like to hereby worship Wallenstein for his amazing Bannock!!

whats the recipe? please tell us , it was amazing!

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Im sure Rob will be along in a bit, but I think his very yummy recipe was John fennas with added cinamon, nutneg and allspice and raisens.

Try adding chorizo and finish with cheese to a basic mix, for a savory option

Some recipies from the site. Ive tryed them all and they all work as long as you cook them slow, and best in a non stick pan. Even better with a domed lid on top to help trap heat and rise the bannock.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/index.php/Food-Cooking/Bannock.html

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Addo - Yep they were the recipes I tried - the first two anyway - Hoodoo's and Match's - I'll try again in my actual bushcraft non non-stick frying pan on a low heat and see if that works

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Hello chaps,

The recipe I used was:

400g self-raising flour
100-120g golden castor sugar
1-2 tsps baking powder
1-2 handfuls of sultanans
1-2 handfuls of vegetable suet (this could be reduced)
2-3 tsps all spice / cinnamon / nutmeg

All quantities approximate!

That made enough for two large bannocks. The suet is not to everyone's taste (sorry Paul!) so you could probably reduce the amount without much bother.

I ended up with quite a "wet" mixture, so it needed a non-stick pan and a gentle heat (plus a good tossing every 6-7 mins).

A dryer mixture would work better in a dutch oven with heat above and below, or on a hot stone / board... my mixture would have slid off!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE