Bird? Calls

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
The last couple of nights when I've been out walking the dog, I've been hearing this weird sound/call that I think is a bird.

Time: Dusk
Sound: It sounds something like the noise that a ruler makes when you vibrateded it off the edge of a table but lower or a kite when it's really ripping the air, It sounds more like a vibration than a sound. If that makes any sense.

Anybody got any ideas.

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
Nope nothing like that its more long, drawn out, deeper and almost sounds like the bird is flying round you as the sound happens.

I'm gonna go back tonight and try to get a recording.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
i can't wait to hear that, i've been trying to get into the habit of identifying birds by their call recently. which is really hard unless someone can let you hear an example.

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
I would suggest it was a Common Snipe (Gallinago gallinago). We call it "hømmergauk" which rudely translated to English is "humming cookoo" (nothing to do with an ordinary cookoo, Cuculus canorus).

260px-Gallinago_gallinago_6_%28Marek_Szczepanek%29.jpg

It makes the noise you describe when flying trough the air. It is done with vibrating some of his tail feathers I think.

Tor

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
The drumming noise that snipe make is part of their courting ritual - they swoop downwards quite steeply and I think it's their outside tail feathers that vibrate as they descend and make the noise. It's very distinctive and, as you say, quite like vibrating a ruler off the edge of a desk!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Could very will be a cock pheasant drumming its wings too

It would be punctuated with a croaking call now and again if so

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE