Appeal to Duck Experts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Sorry if this is a little off topic, but I wonder if anyone could help identify these ducks which turned up on my local pond yesterday. I'm fairly certain that they are a domestic breed.
duck3.jpg

They are quite a bit bigger than mallards, and are black with an iridescent green sheen. They also stand more upright. I think they might be Cayuga ducks, but would appreciate an expert opinion very much.

Spaniel man

Native
Apr 28, 2007
Somerset
Well they look like my mums Cayuga ducks, but they are standing more like Runner ducks! Both are kept domestically in this country. Maybe a hybrid??

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
They are Indian runner ducks - they come in all sorts of colours but black ones are the best! Here's mine:
indianrunners.jpg

You can eat them - we eat the surplus drakes - but there's really not much meat on them. They don't lay particularly well either. However, they are superb comedy value. I'd defy anyone not to smile when watching them rushing around in a little flock :D
Nicola

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
However, they are superb comedy value. I'd defy anyone not to smile when watching them rushing around in a little flock :D
Nicola

LOL I know next to nothing about specific breed's of ducks, BUT I absolutely love watching them fly around the village, its like barnums flying circus take off and land, take off and land, they seem to know when your watching and try to put on a nice show; you liked that did you? lets do that maonouver again then! warck warck warck :lmao: :lmao: They have wine bottle green colours on their neck's and deep blue as well.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
My photos are not great (Simon King will not be quaking in his boots), but I would like to point out that before I started taking happy snaps the ducks in question were sitting down and not looking at all like Indian Runners. These ducks were also a lot bigger than any runner ducks I have seen before. I will try to get some better pictures tomorrow, perhaps (duck permitting) of them swimming or sitting, and maybe with some Mallards for comparison.

Thanks for all your replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE