Checked Luggage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

moab

Forager
Apr 26, 2007
UK
Hi all,

I want to take my bushcraft knife and survival tin to Canada with me on my canoeing trip, I am packing it in a suite case I was wondering what is the best way to pack it as I don’t want it confiscating by customs and what do I say if they ask why am I carrying it? :yikes:

ta
Tim

Tim,
Apologies for the double post - I have only just noticed your "survival tin" comment - most airlines forbid the carrying of matches even in the hold and this may also relate to other things like lighters etc. Best to check the current guidelines.
Purchase your survival matches in Canada, which gives you a great excuse to oggle some more kit and pick up some more "essentials":D

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
i always take a knife on holiday, never had any problems with them in checked baggage. if in doubt about how secure the sheath holds the knife, tape it in place with masking tape.

cheers, and.

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I'm just back from a trip to the States and took knives both there and back in hold baggage without problem. On the way there my friend Grace and I had a couple of knives each - on the way back we had LOADS having visited a knife making factory and spent a while in the shop :D Grace's bag had a note in it saying it had been searched on the way back but they clearly hadn't had a problem with the knives - this included a couple of big locking folders which are definitely not a legal carry in the UK. I'd not worry about it!
Nicola

I think putting a note about sharps, as suggested above by Moab is a good idea...
...personally I don't think I'd put the note on the outside of the bag though - I'd be concerned that advertising the contents of the bag might lead to temptation of any dishnoest (read, thieving) baggage handlers to take them. I've not heard of that kind of thing happening, but I wouldn't risk it myself.

I would put a note in an obvious place inside the bag though - that way if customs or security officials open the bag they will see the note straight away and avoid injury.

Either way would work though. :D

timtom1

Forager
Sep 12, 2005
Lancs
www.barkcanoe.net
I've found a clear plastic tupperware box, that fits my knife and sheath so I will write on the lid Camping stuff or something like that they can see whats inside without opening it but they could if they wanted too

H

He' s left the building

The airline staff at check-in may ask 'Is there anything in the bag which may be used as a weapon'

Answer truthfully, 'no weapon but I have a camping/bushcraft knife in my checked baggage'. They will then ask to see it.

If you haven't declared it and then it is found, you will be subject to further searching.

I travel regularly with a dive knife and other blades (including SAK, multi-tool, Clipper/F1, sometimes a medium sized jungle knife/machete) and have never had a problem.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE