Stopped again.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

burning

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2006
nw uk
I worked in Croxteth as a support worker and got to know many youths around the area, I lived in Norris Green just down the road whose youth battled with the Noggsy gang.

The Noggsy gang are the Nogga Dogs and they are a teenage gang from Norris Green, are you a social worker by any chance?
The Crocky Crew live in Croxteth...... I would normally have no idea about all this but my ex workmate was a native of Norris Green and a nice guy to boot. Ever hung out in Kirby or Toxteth? I'm not trying to pick a fight just that I have and the people were tops for friendliness.

There's nowt up with scousers strangle the children first...... or my fav of all time

DEATH TO FANATICS j/k ')

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
The Noggsy gang are the Nogga Dogs and they are a teenage gang from Norris Green, are you a social worker by any chance?
The Crocky Crew live in Croxteth...... I would normally have no idea about all this but my ex workmate was a native of Norris Green and a nice guy to boot. Ever hung out in Kirby or Toxteth? I'm not trying to pick a fight just that I have and the people were tops for friendliness.

There's nowt up with scousers strangle the children first...... or my fav of all time

DEATH TO FANATICS j/k ')

No, I'm a support worker who supported disruptive young people, social workers know nothing and most do nothing, some of the young people never seen their social workers (crime in it's self) I lived in Norris Green for 23 years, my youngest lad still lives there, only moved back to Everton two and a half years ago, what people hear second hand can be miles from the truth,

I know Nogga Dogs and I know Crocky Crew. One lad (who had been shot in the woods nearby and was in the Echo) was terrified to go through NG on the bus to his college in town in case he was spotted and was sorted, I took him after my shift.

So folk don't know the real stories, get someone in who really cares about our youth and a nice future is on the cards.

Opal - it's really nice to hear from someone working in that kind of community and the positive things you have to say about the young'uns you meet.

I've done a fair bit of work in rough neighbourhoods too - not the same as yourself, but providing activities for them to do. Something so many people (including social workers) don't pick up on is that not everyone wants to play footie or have a game of pool at some rec or youth club. Utter boredom seems to cause half the trouble.
When they have the opportunity to see outside their neighbourhood and even find something to do that interests them things usually improve.
I know I'm preaching to the choir on that one though.

You'd have to have pretty thick skin to be around some of the ones I worked with (most of them are like you described - no harm in them at all - just a lot of bravado).

The first time I met one bunch I arrived late (got lost finding my way to the church that ran the youth club I'd been asked to come along to) the gobby one (most groups have one) squared up to me "you're late!" and tried to embarass me.
When I started having a dig back the whole club stopped to watch.
I finally got him to back down when he realised there was nowhere he could go with the mickey taking that I wouldn't follow (all banter, nothing nasty) and I made a crack that had his mates laughing their heads off.
He smiled and said he'd be back later to see what I was doing - his mates patted me on the back and went back about their business.
With a more timid approach I would have been given a rough ride.

Even though I don't work at that kind of thing any more (not enough money in it, I had to earn more for a few reasons) I can't wait to get back into it in my free time (when I have some).

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Got stopped again this Morning.

No bother, just the usual "who are you, where are you going etc. etc."

People wonder why I get paranoid when I see a rozzer pull out behind me...:rolleyes:

Stop wearing the striped top and carrying a bag with 'SWAG' written on it.. :D

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
??? Wayland its a shame you cant make notes of it all and send it to some high ranking copper and tell them to spend their time doing something more constructive. You must have the patience of a saint i would have ranted a bit and made things worse no doubt!!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
??? Wayland its a shame you cant make notes of it all and send it to some high ranking copper and tell them to spend their time doing something more constructive.

I had to write to the local chief super when I was getting pulled all the time in my boy racer car back in the early 90's. Five times in one week was the record !!

It didn't help that I usually had a car full of young lads and usually had dance music blasting out all the time. Getting pulled was totally justified and I never had a problem with it, but there were one or two bobbies who had it in for me and made a point of pulling me over whenever possible. My gripe was with them but the letter obviously reached the right person as I received a letter of apology and I never got pulled again.

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
Good story Wayland, and the chances are the bobby will enjoy telling it as much as you do. Scallies he will have stopped an locked up hundreds of times. A Viking /Roman reenactor with a plethora of historically accurate weaponry , well I bet you're his first!

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Liverpool was certainly a tough place when I lived there for a time in the late sixties. High proportion of police sergeants and they carried what they called nightsticks rather than truncheons. The nightstick was a heavy walking stick. made me laugh once when I mentioned to a friend that I never had any trouble with yobs and he made me stand in front of the mirror to point out the 6ft height, the beard, large body, combat jacket and boots.

On the other hand we had a great time there, got to know one of the bands/groups and at times it was like living in a sixties movie, for example some friends had a milk float they used to get around in.

kaiAnderson

Tenderfoot
Feb 11, 2013
Liverpool
I got stopped recently in Liverpool (as that's where im from) by an anpr camera car for having no insurance. the camera had read me number plate and had come back as uninsured. I obviously couldn't remember whio I was insured with and couldn't prove I had insurance, so the police man took great pleasure reading me my rights and ordering a tow truck, all the time telling me how much it was gonna cost in court fees and recovery fees, he was really enjoying himself and I was feeling sick. while waiting for the tow truck I asked him to check if I was insured, rather than my car, the sickened look on his face when the voice on the radio came back as yes, I was insured on my car (but the records showed my car was uninsured) so he had to cancel the tow truck and let me on me merry way. I even asked what would have happened if me car had been towed and was later proved I was insured, I would still be liable for the recovery fees he said.

Last edited by a moderator:

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
I got stopped recently in Liverpool (as that's where im from) by an anpr camera car for having no insurance. the camera had read me number plate and had come back as uninsured. I obviously couldn't remember whio I was insured with and couldn't prove I had insurance, so the police man took great pleasure reading me my rights and ordering a tow truck, all the time telling me how much it was gonna cost in court fees and recovery fees, he was really enjoying himself and I was feeling sick. while waiting for the tow truck I asked him to check if I was insured, rather than my car, the sickened look on his face when the voice on the radio came back as yes, I was insured on my car (but the records showed my car was uninsured) so he had to cancel the tow truck and let me on me merry way. I even asked what would have happened if me car had been towed and was later proved I was insured, I would still be liable for the recovery fees he said.

The police are usually unable to grasp the concept that cars do not require to be insured, people require to be insured. 25 years as a criminal lawyer and I have yet to see one car being prosecuted for not having insurance.

"Before I ask you to open the back of the vehicle, is there anything you need to tell me?"

"Yes Constable, that you can ask but it contains my personal property and that I politely decline your polite request to see it!"

They ask because they don't have a power to search, but if you agree then that makes it OK.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
"Yes Constable, that you can ask but it contains my personal property and that I politely decline your polite request to see it!"

They ask because they don't have a power to search, but if you agree then that makes it OK.

What usually happens next after you have politely declined their request?

(that's not a sarcastic come back....I'm really interested to know please).

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Generally speaking, the police are so used to members of the public not having the faintest clue about their rights that they get completely non-plussed when someone points out their actual legal rights to them, in a calm and polite manner of course and without any made up "your laws don't apply to me" wibble.

I was wandering home from the pub once after a karate course, when I'd been entertaining the Japanese chief instructor for several beers afterwards , with a holdall full of VERY sweaty kit over my shoulder, when I became aware of a car slowly following me, a door opening and a voice shouting "Oi, empty that f-ing bag now!" . I turned and recognised the cop, he recognised me, went very white indeed and could'nt apologise enough. What they do, or try to do, and what they are legally entitled to do, are very different things indeed a lot of the time.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I have been stopped on one occasion since this thread was posted but only for a routine check. It has a lot to do with driving an old van around at odd times of the day I guess.

Having said that, after having a load of trouble caused by a corrupt copper a few years ago, which actually led to a spurious prosecution against me which was thrown out of court and having to register a serious complaint which was eventually held in our favour, I must admit that I am far less inclined to be co-operative with the police these days.

As a law abiding citizen, I used to generally trust the police, but I have been shown quite clearly that it is not the institution that it once was and unfortunately there are some officers that are an absolute disgrace to their uniform.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Excellent story Wayland.

A mate of mine had borrowed my old Daihatsu which wore rather large off road tyres. He got stopped one night by two coppers (dipping tanks and doing vehicle checks in a rural area). While he was talking to the older Sargent the younger copper was checking the tyres. He came up with his little tyre gauge and said "Sarge it's not big enough to reach the bottom of the tread, what should I do?" To which the old Sargent looked pitifully at him and told him to go and wait in the car, as the treads were deep enough to lose a hand in and must be OK! I think a Captain Mainwaring "Stupid boy!" may have crossed his lips too.

I do like that you were upfront about it with the officer though, too many of my copper mates don't want to be handing out tickets but get fed up with aggressive answers from folk, yours was polite and a howler funny too.

Oct 30, 2012
Eseex
The police are usually unable to grasp the concept that cars do not require to be insured, people require to be insured. 25 years as a criminal lawyer and I have yet to see one car being prosecuted for not having insurance.

Generally speaking, the police are so used to members of the public not having the faintest clue about their rights that they get completely non-plussed when someone points out their actual legal rights to them, in a calm and polite manner of course and without any made up "your laws don't apply to me" wibble.

I was wandering home from the pub once after a karate course, when I'd been entertaining the Japanese chief instructor for several beers afterwards , with a holdall full of VERY sweaty kit over my shoulder, when I became aware of a car slowly following me, a door opening and a voice shouting "Oi, empty that f-ing bag now!" . I turned and recognised the cop, he recognised me, went very white indeed and could'nt apologise enough. What they do, or try to do, and what they are legally entitled to do, are very different things indeed a lot of the time.

You've used the words "usually" and "generally" in your responses. I could easily apply both those terms to lawyers based on my daily interactions with them. I refrain from doing so, because whilst a lot of them appear to be either stupid or incompetent, I realise that I only deal with a small percentage of the their total number within England and Wales. I anticipate that there are a far greater number who do a very good job than those that don't. This is probably similar to most professions.

As such I believe that generally most police officers usually do a good job, occasionally they get it wrong, but then that's only human surely? :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE