Volunteers Needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
This is a call to arms ( and legs etc) to anyone in the North of England or dare I hope; Southern Scotland, who might fancy putting in some time, doing a bit of digging and some live willow, fencing work.

As some of you already know; I am involved, along with Eric Methven and Ken Jackson, with the local conservation group; Friends of Chopwell Wood, we do all sorts of maintenance work within the woodland, along with education and recreation activities. My own field is, of course; bush/traditional craft related and I have been running events here, for 5 years now, for both the Friends and the Forestry Commission.

Due to various safety restrictions, we are normally confined to using a designated area for our fire lighting skills sets/events. This is not a major drawback, as it is located far enough away from buildings, that it offers great scope for use as an outdoor classroom/training area.
This is the area at the moment:
P9190001copyresized15.jpg

It looks quite large but could do with opening out a bit and of course the fence will make a massive difference
P9190005copyresizrd12.jpg

If you can imagine say 15 people, trying to find space, to practice fire lighting in 5 teams of 3......well it can get a bit cramped:D

I want to enlarge the footprint of the firelighting "arena" somewhat, as well as planting a living willow windbreak fence to both shield the area from prevailing wind and screen it from the mountain bike track across the clearing.

So you get to do some digging as well as willow weaving:D
All materials and tools are provided, all you need is a packed lunch and your brew kit.

The Dates are: 14th and 15th February, sadly we won't be able to organise camping for this weekend due to prior commitments.

Anyone interested in giving a hand, just post to keep the thread alive and then pm and I'll put your names on the list.

As an added incentive; I'm working on a "Free, Volunteers Only, Thankyou Event" for later in the year:naughty:
So to start there's:

Me

Ken Jackson
Peterlee Paddler (Tony)
Freespin
EdS
Bri30

Don't worry if you can't get this time, I'll be sorting out some other stuff for later in the year.

Thanks for looking
all the best
R.B.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
If I could hammock overnight I would be willing to travel up for it. Could I suggest making a weekend of it?

Might get a few more bodies!!

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
if i new were the wood was and the dates i might be interested becasue i am from the north east and ave a car so could drive there but would need to be able to camp there if poss due to working on weekends an dont want to have to take a holiday unless its going to be worth it

but well up for doing it

drew

freespin

Tenderfoot
Dec 5, 2008
Washington
Be great to help out. Count me in.
Only in UK until end of March......... but bored stupid and needing something worthwhile to do!
Free4spin

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I'd be happy to camp over and make it a full weekend event, so anyone else coming from afar could camp too. There's a forest classroom a short walk away with toilets and running water etc. We can get the key for that.

As to location, it's Chopwell Forest and is located at High Spen, near Gateshead.

I have a fire tray stored up there and we should be able to get the parachute up as a central gathering place/cooking area for those stopping over. I'll bring my big cast iron kettle so there'll always be a brew going.

There also may be the opportunity to gather spoon blanks and maybe some bark for projects during the time there.

It'll be fun.

Eric

rancid badger

If its possible to do a camp over I'll try and make it down.
Do you have a post code or OS coords so I can locate it on google maps ?

Regards

Stephen

I'm just trying to find my gps, it's got the location refs in it!:D
If you try google earth, just type in Chopwell Wood and it should zoom in on the site.
I'll be back in a mo with the refs
cheers
Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE