F15 & F16 fighter jets to track Santa...read on!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
For those with young children, NORAD track Santa on his journey around the globe each Christmas.

How We Track Santa

NORAD uses four high-tech systems to track Santa – radar, satellites, Santa Cams and fighter jets.

Tracking Santa starts with the NORAD radar system called the North Warning System. This powerful radar system consists of 47 installations strung across the northern border of North America. On Christmas Eve, NORAD monitors the radar continuously for indications that Santa Claus has left the North Pole.

The moment that radar indicates Santa has lifted off, we use our second detection system. Satellites positioned in geo-synchronous orbit at 22,300 miles from the Earth’s surface are equipped with infrared sensors which enable them to detect heat. Amazingly, Rudolph's bright red nose gives off an infrared signature which allow our satellites to detect Rudolph and Santa.

The third tracking system is the Santa Cam network. We began using it in 1998, which is the year we put our Santa Tracking program on the internet. Santa Cams are ultra-cool, high-tech, high-speed digital cameras that are pre-positioned at many locations around the world. NORAD only uses these cameras once a year on Christmas Eve. The cameras capture images and videos of Santa and his reindeer as they make their journey around the world.

The fourth system is made up of fighter jets. Canadian NORAD fighter pilots flying the CF-18 intercept and welcome Santa to North America. In the United States, American NORAD fighter pilots in either the F-15 or the F-16 get the thrill of flying alongside Santa and his famous reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner, Blitzen and, of course, Rudolph.

In the run up to Christamas Eve, they provide a count down clock and lots of little activities for kids. On the magical night itself they upload a film every hour, linked to Google Earth, showing where Santa is up to on his journey.

My kids have both loved doing this for the past two or three years and so I thought I would share the "secret" with you all.

Go on give it a go, you might even smile yourself...

http://www.noradsanta.org/en/home.html

Simon

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I love the fact they do this. It shows they can have a bit of a heart.
However...
I notice with interest that they have to track him with military jets. Why do they (Americans?) have to bring this militarism into everything? I want to avoid making crass and cheap socio-political observations, but it's proving very hard not to...

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Why Military Jets........... try flying round the world in 24 hrs in a hang glider !!!!!

Still it is a good laugh or the kids

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
To protect Santa maybe, in case terrorists try to take him out to ruin Christmas.

The sleigh is armed for defense anyway, just look at the specs...
Sleigh Technical Data
Designer & Builder:K. Kringle & Elves, Inc.
Probable First Flightec. 24, 343 A.D.
Home Base:North Pole
Length:75 cc (candy canes)/150 lp (lollipops)
Width:40 cc/80 lp
Height:55 cc/110 lp
Weight at takeoff:75,000 gd (gumdrops)
Passenger weigth at takeoff:Santa Claus 260 poundsWeight of gifts at takeoff:60,000 tons
Weight at landing:80,000 gd (ice & snow accumulation)
Passenger weight at landing:1,260 pounds
Propulsion:Nine (9) rp (reindeer power)
Armament:Antlers (purely defensive)
Fuel:Hay, oats and carrots (for reindeer)
Emissions:Classified
Climbing speed:One “T” (Twinkle of an eye)
Max speed:Faster than starlight

Note: Length, width and height are without reindeer.

Simon:rolleyes: :D

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I notice with interest that they have to track him with military jets. Why do they (Americans?) have to bring this militarism into everything? I want to avoid making crass and cheap socio-political observations, but it's proving very hard not to...

You forget the Canadian will be tracking them in their military jets as well Durulz

The fourth system is made up of fighter jets. Canadian NORAD fighter pilots flying the CF-18 intercept and welcome Santa to North America. In the United States, American NORAD fighter pilots in either the F-15 or the F-16 get the thrill of flying alongside Santa and his famous reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner, Blitzen and, of course, Rudolph.

And as they say the pilots get to have the thrill of flying alongside Santa ;)

And do remember at the end of the day what NORAD really is...... a multi-national military defense system that uses military radars, satellites etc etc. But on the plus side every single person who is involved with the Santa tracking volunteers their time freely and the military establishement who run NORAD allow the use of the system and subsidises the cost of it all for the simple reason of bringing some cheer to all the millions parents who turn to it when their children ask..... how long before Santa gets here?

In my books NORAD :You_Rock_

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Guys, I posted this in a genuine attempt to make people smile.

If it offends, please don't drag this down to a rant about politics....just ignore it and read another thread.

Merry Christmas.

Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE