bucks bushcraft group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
At the risk of hijacking the Bucks Meets, there seems to be some interest in a visit to the Pitt Rivers Museum in Oxford as one of the activities at one of the upcoming Bucks meets, if you are happy to have a few visitors on site. Swyn seems to be OK with this.

Suggestion so far is to go either the Saturday afternoon, then return to Swyn's place or to go Sunday afternoon, though in that case we may well find that people just want to go home afterwards (I wouldn't want to drive back to Swyn's just to pick up my kit at the end of Sunday afternoon). Saturday may be better, because people then have some chance to chat about what they saw and possibly try out some things.

Geoff

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
Hi Guys,

Any plans for when next meet is?

The Reading meets and the Bucks meets tend to run alternately as they're relatively close and, broadly speaking, are generally attended by the same people. Check out the Reading meet thread as Mark's sorting out a meet for Feb, either 9/10 or 16/17

jasons

Settler
Jan 15, 2006
Tain Scotland
The Reading meets and the Bucks meets tend to run alternately as they're relatively close and, broadly speaking, are generally attended by the same people. Check out the Reading meet thread as Mark's sorting out a meet for Feb, either 9/10 or 16/17
Nice one ben;)

Rod

On a new journey
At the risk of hijacking the Bucks Meets, there seems to be some interest in a visit to the Pitt Rivers Museum in Oxford as one of the activities at one of the upcoming Bucks meets, if you are happy to have a few visitors on site. Swyn seems to be OK with this.

Suggestion so far is to go either the Saturday afternoon, then return to Swyn's place or to go Sunday afternoon, though in that case we may well find that people just want to go home afterwards (I wouldn't want to drive back to Swyn's just to pick up my kit at the end of Sunday afternoon). Saturday may be better, because people then have some chance to chat about what they saw and possibly try out some things.

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Could you start a separate thread for this activity? Just so we can keep this one to concentrate on the nefarious activities of the Bucks Group :naughty: ;)

cheers

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Hi Geoff,

Could you start a separate thread for this activity? Just so we can keep this one to concentrate on the nefarious activities of the Bucks Group :naughty: ;)

cheers

Good suggestion - there is already a thread about the visit (http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26776) but, after talking to Swyn, it seemed like a good idea to schedule it for the same weekend as a Bucks meet so that you already have some activities on site. Does that seem OK to the Bucks members? If this is OK, then all we really need are the dates for the upcoming Bucks meets, but I can keep details about the Pitt Rivers visit in the separate thread.

Geoff :)

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Hi Chaps,

A Happy New Year to you all!

Tony has asked me if I would care to do my poultice talk at the summer moot. So I have said yes as places will be limited, I thought I would tell the stalwarts of the Bucks group first.

So its boil herbs and bone setting time, also do a pretty mean hangover cure!

Sandsnakes

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
Geoff - Sorry but myself and the other Bucks lads are not in the position to offer you any 'activities', having neither the insurance, experience or frankly the desire to provide the bushcraft course that you are effectively asking for.

We are not a bushcraft school but rather a group of mates who meet up regularly to practice the skills that we have learnt on courses with professional instructors or elsewhere. Swyn is kind enough to let us have use of the woods he manages. If you wish to use them independently then that is your own affair and you need to speak to Swyn.

Sorry if this is unhelpful or appears unfriendly but there has been a bit of debate amongst us recently as to where we want to go with the group. I personally am against teaching groups as I feel that it is a professional undertaking best left to proffesionals. If it is a bushcraft course you are after then there are a number of good outfits in the south east, most of which are listed in the 'Resource Links' section in the top left-hand menu.

All the best, Aaron:)

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Sorry if this is unhelpful or appears unfriendly but there has been a bit of debate amongst us recently as to where we want to go with the group.

No problems - but I think we are misunderstanding each other, so if I summarise how we've got to where we are. I'm not trying to muscle in, just trying to organise something that I thought a few people had expressed an interest in.

There was some discussion about a visit to the Pitt Rivers museum a while ago and one or two people thought it might be a good idea to make a weekend of it if we could find somewhere to camp.

Swyn seemed to think this was a good idea and offered the use of his woods.

After the New Year Meet at Swyn's, which I attended, I got the impression (rightly or wrongly) that the Bucks Group would welcome newcomers or visitors and it seemed a good idea to arrange the visit for a weekend when people were already on site, as it may be simpler for Swyn if he already has the site open for that weekend so he wouldn't need to open it specially, perhaps just for a small number of people.

Geoff - Sorry but myself and the other Bucks lads are not in the position to offer you any 'activities', having neither the insurance, experience or frankly the desire to provide the bushcraft course that you are effectively asking for.

We've got a definite misunderstanding here. When I said activites, I wasn't implying organised activities or any form of tuition, simply that people would be on site to chat to and some of the hopeful newcomers for the Bucks Group could meet some of the long standing members. Also, those of us who find it difficult to find areas to practise bushcraft would have the opportunity to try out some of their skills.

I apologise if I have misinterpreted what I'd heard or if I've not been sufficiently clear in my previous postings - if the Bucks Group is getting too big then I don't want to intrude and if people are still wanting me to organise a visit to the Museum then maybe we can just do a day trip, or see if Swyn would open up the woods on a different weekend.

I hope this message doesn't come across as antagonistic - it certainly isn't meant to be. I can go to the Museum any day of the week, but a few people had asked me if I could organise a visit so I thought that it was a way to give something back to the community here.

All the best.

Geoff :confused:

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Hi Toadflax,

I think that there has been a misunderstanding with 'Activities' and Aaron correctly addresses this in his post. (Which I can read whilst doing this reply) I agree that we are purely an informal group and can't offer formal classes.

However I am very happy to offer the site for your group to use independantly, whilst organising the proposed visit to The Pitt Rivers Museum, if this helps with organising and parking along with vehicle sharing. This will also include camping over the weekend.

On another note, now this has been posted on the Bucks meet-up thread, is to move any subsequent chat back to the original Pitt Rivers thread.

You have a PM too.

Cheers,
Swyn.

abushcrafter

Nomad
Aug 23, 2007
Chilterns
So how is how is everyone?

For me, I have not done much. A bit of tracking(ish) and gone on a course. Manly though sorting out my computer and searching for apps along with other stuff and Home-education.

VirusKiller

Nomad
Jul 16, 2007
Hogsty End
I'm pretty keen :eek: to do some more bushcrafty stuff having tested the water on Woodsmoke's Woodlander course. I'm just outside Milton Keynes (in Woburn Sands) so can definitely claim to be local. Can someone PM with more information, assuming it isn't getting too crowded?

Thanks,
Joel

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
IMPORTANT NOTICE.

I would like to inform BCUK members that I have no association with Bucks bushcraft group.

My site is now closed to all but personal invitations.

Please feel free to contact me via PM on this forum.

Swyn.

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
Following on from the above post made by Swyn Parker-Jervis, I think that it is worth making the point that the 'Bucks Bushcraft Group' no longer exists, nor has it done for quite some time as the various members have gone their seperate ways in a gradual and (largely!) amicable fashion. A few of us still meetup to use other privately owned sites but these are by word of mouth and not organised on either BCUK or any other internet forum, so for anyone in the area who wants to attend a local meet/moot whatever it is pointless either checking or posting on this particular thread anymore. On a personal note Swyn, I am very sorry to hear about the misunderstanding that has occurred over the use of the sawmill site, and that the 'Bush hoots' as you call them will now sadly come to an end, particularly given their success in the past. Anyhoo as with the Bucks Group such things run their course I suppose, and allow people to move on to new things. Good luck with whatever business ventures you choose to hold there in the future.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE