oil lamp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stijnb

Tenderfoot
Mar 11, 2008
nederland
At the bc weekend I came up with the idea to make an oil lamp out of a (beer)can and a bit of cloth(don't ask me where it came from:D ) and i thought it might be usefull to some of you......

the idea is that you make something like the penny stove, only instead of using two bottoms, you use a bottom and a top-piece, then you turn the opener over the hole and put the piece of cloth through that, fill it with any form of oil or grease you can find and it should work:cool:

photo taken at the bc weekend with thijzz on the background:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39455661@N00/2902439436/in/set-72157607604549894/

hope it's of any use.....

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Made one of these last night, burned for about 4 hrs with veg oil!

Got me to thinking of other more "decerative/perminant" ways of doing it!

If all goes well I will post a picture or 2 later!

Thanks for the idea!

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
At the bc weekend I came up with the idea to make an oil lamp out of a (beer)can and a bit of cloth(don't ask me where it came from:D ) and i thought it might be usefull to some of you......

the idea is that you make something like the penny stove, only instead of using two bottoms, you use a bottom and a top-piece, then you turn the opener over the hole and put the piece of cloth through that, fill it with any form of oil or grease you can find and it should work:cool:

photo taken at the bc weekend with thijzz on the background:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39455661@N00/2902439436/in/set-72157607604549894/

hope it's of any use.....
Works in the same way as a Grease lamp, simple and brillant :D

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Here is my version

Burns very well!

lamp-1.jpg

lamp2.jpg

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Mmm...methinks this could be a source for a 'just for laughs' competition.
So, who can make one of these using the most middle-class brand of booze?
Out with those cans of mixed Pims and Schweps G&T...

stijnb

Tenderfoot
Mar 11, 2008
nederland
@pignut: that's a great idea!
I was also thinking about using a beer bottle top as a windscreen, only problem is on how to cut the bottom straight(petrol soaked cord might work) and some air inlet holes would be needed.
Hmmm might give that one a try.....

Mang

Settler
May be to deep...
I'm thinking of the 3" high ones...

Mmm...methinks this could be a source for a 'just for laughs' competition.
So, who can make one of these using the most middle-class brand of booze?
Out with those cans of mixed Pims and Schweps G&T...

LOL this though occurred to me too:D

Well there's one of me, 10250 of you, I make that BCUK o'clock!

xylaria

A bit of variation on a theme. I filled travel sweets container with used chip fat, added a cotton rag. I lit the dry end of rag and boiled a kettle of water on it. It took about 20 minutes and there was still plenty of fuel left. to put out the flame i simply put the lid back on the travel sweets. The only problems was it smelt like a chippy and the kettle was left a bit sooty.
6D_DSC00101.jpg

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
A bit of variation on a theme. I filled travel sweets container with used chip fat, added a cotton rag. I lit the dry end of rag and boiled a kettle of water on it. It took about 20 minutes and there was still plenty of fuel left. to put out the flame i simply put the lid back on the travel sweets. The only problems was it smelt like a chippy and the kettle was left a bit sooty.
Someone, on this ite has done the same with wax and cardboard. (roll the cardboard up and put in a tin, then filled the tin with wax) I'm sure it was a cooker, although it may have been a lamp?

xylaria

I thought it was so simple an idea, a bunch of people must come up with it first. Like inuit blubbler candles. The lid goes back on tight and rag wraps around the tin, so the tin doesn't leek greese. it is very very simple. It just needs a stand for kettle to go on.

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
Just as a sideline i noticed crockets in glasgow sold the wicks in all diffrent sizes, i had an old storm lamp i chucked out because i ran out of wick
Any 'proper' ironmongers should sell wicking

The best place I ever found not only had different sizes, they had two different grades and sold it off reels by the foot

Small place it was, somewhere near Ingelton (Three Peaks), that was about ten......maybe fifteen years ago, its probably a tourist tea shoppe now

I'm trying to remember a way of cutting the bottoms off bottles, something with oil......I'll get back to you on that

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE