Hammock feeling

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
Im now the owner of a dd tarp and hammock
I spent most of today trying them out in different configurations and then had a nice afternoon snooze in the hammock
The thing is for hours afterwards i still felt like i was swinging in the hammock
Is this somthing that you get used to over time or is it somthing hammock users have to live with?

Morning Fox

Forager
Sep 30, 2008
Reigate
Not sure about hammocks but I used to spend a fair amount of time on a small boat, and when I got back onto land I'd still feel as though I was bobbing on water, but I got used to it after a while and it stopped completely.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Good going SW,
the feeling won't last long - another few hangs and you'll barely notice it. When will be your first overnighter?

ATB

Ogri the trog

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
Cheers ogri im glad it will soon go away as it made for interesting driving later on today.

My first overnighter with the new combo wont be for a while im afraid as my wifes expecting soon so i need to be close by

I cant wait though as ive always been a ground dweller up till now

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
What alternatives to using say a prussic not for the ridge line are there?
Is there any gadgets to keep the tension on a tarp ridge line?

I know a knot is better than a gadget any day but im toying with the idea of an ultra quick pitch and unpitch camp

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
What alternatives to using say a prussic not for the ridge line are there?
Is there any gadgets to keep the tension on a tarp ridge line?

I know a knot is better than a gadget any day but im toying with the idea of an ultra quick pitch and unpitch camp

I bought a pack of two, 2 metre luggage straps and they're great for a ridge line - where the two hooks link makes a great shackle for securing the lines of my adjustable pod.
Tension on tarps can be held with a bungee or two dotted round the anchor points or by using water collecting bottles on the corners - when it rains, the bottles fill up and pull the tarp tighter and you have water ready for purifying when you wake up (have photos if you need an idea to copy).
If you can afford to buy or copy gadgets, try it a few times and see if you can justify the bulk/weight, if not, modify it to suit.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Podcast Bob

I usually tie the cord 'to' the tarp and pull it taught, rather than run the cord through the loops, as this often creates a saggy shelter.

It also means you can tie some 'drip' cords onto the tarp at the tab to prevent water running down into your hammock.

Obviously you don't want to over tension it if you do this, but I've never had any problems pulling the stitching etc.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
No need to use any form of 'gadget' to keep the tarp taught on the ridgeline, a prussic loop with a mini karabiner is the perfect solution.

I personally keep my Tarp, Ridge, prussics and guylines all in place, so pitching is a cinch

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Not sure about hammocks but I used to spend a fair amount of time on a small boat, and when I got back onto land I'd still feel as though I was bobbing on water, but I got used to it after a while and it stopped completely.

Do a lot of boat work in my new job so I know what you mean.
I now under stand what is meant by "Getting your land legs back"

That said never had it from my hammock??

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
No need to use any form of 'gadget' to keep the tarp taught on the ridgeline, a prussic loop with a mini karabiner is the perfect solution.

I personally keep my Tarp, Ridge, prussics and guylines all in place, so pitching is a cinch

Brilliant idea on the mini karabiner i hadent thought of that

Ok my next question is how strong/thick does the guy lines and ridgeline need to be?

Surely the supplied cord or paracord is overkill?

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London

I use the same method, trying the ridge slightly slacker than if I wasn't using prussik/miniclip means that the ridgeline effectively become it's own dripline, as a hanging loop between the knott and the tarp.

Edit for clarity : I hang the tarp from the line rather than draping it over the ridge.

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com

Ok my next question is how strong/thick does the guy lines and ridgeline need to be?

Surely the supplied cord or paracord is overkill?

If you are only hanging the tarp then yes you could say its over kill, I hang my sack, boots off my line. And for the size and weight of para cord why risk it omo

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
Cheers for the reply ss

I think im over thinking all of this trying to come up with an ultimate sleeping system when what i should be doing is making do with the best i can get and just enjoy getting outdoors

LazySod

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Oldham

Liked this simple idea so much i went and made a pair tonight, only took 30 mins.

I'd already bought a pack of a dozen shoelaces to use as prussics from the pound shop, and i've had a dozen mini carabina keyrings (courtesy of eBay) for over a year.

I simply doubled the shoelace, passed it through the carabina, held it with one stich, then whipped it for about 1/4" and finally finished it all off with a piece of heatshrink tubing.

They've ended up at 10" long (is that about right).

DSCF2455.jpg

Thanks again for the idea :You_Rock_

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Liked this simple idea so much i went and made a pair tonight, only took 30 mins.

I'd already bought a pack of a dozen shoelaces to use as prussics from the pound shop, and i've had a dozen mini carabina keyrings (courtesy of eBay) for over a year.

I simply doubled the shoelace, passed it through the carabina, held it with one stich, then whipped it for about 1/4" and finally finished it all off with a piece of heatshrink tubing.

They've ended up at 10" long (is that about right).

DSCF2455.jpg

Thanks again for the idea :You_Rock_

Same here, but I got my mini carabiners from Alpkit

pi_16304.jpeg

http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16304&category_id=250:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE