Making ash bark containers (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have used ash, cherry and hazel - all to good effect - and all are still going strong.
I have yet to get a bit of birch big enough to make much out of!

spiritofold

Banned
May 7, 2004
Winchester
www.spiritofold.co.uk
Collecting bigger pieces of birch bark is no problem round here, its just learning the method using no glue and making smart looking joins. Look forward to see'ing a tutorial for it though!

I've done loads of searching on the subject but find many of the tutorials have pictures on photobucket that have been deleted. Its a real f****r!!!! Seems to happen with lots of tutorials and how-to's, especially bushcraft orientated subjects!!!!

Andy >>>>>--------------------------<>

Harmony

Tenderfoot
May 15, 2008
Spokane, Washington USA
Looking forward to Andy's tutorial on making round birch bark boxes.

I have 5 of this type of box in my collection. they come from Sweden, Norway and Russia.

All of them have a liner inside the outer interlocking cylinder. This box requires thin birch bark, so should be of interest to everyone.

Harmony

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Andyn - thats excellent, thanks! :You_Rock_

I'll do a wee tutorial on how to make the diagonal woven 'crown' birch baskets at some point soon, as I've not found any good tutorials online for these, and they're very simple to make once you get started.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Chaps, its possible the article will actually be in a forth coming copy of the new 'Living Woods' Magazine so keep an eye out in there. :)

I'll post it on my website afterwards too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE