Would the Police in the UK stop you and search for knifes?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nicolas

Forager
Jun 2, 2008
Dublin
With all the talk about UK and knifes (what I personaly find redicules) I cannot stop but wonder.
If you're walking down the street with a big Saber45 filled with stuff on your back a map in your hand and a smile on your face.
Do they really bother checking you if you have a knife?
Sure I to wouldn't carry my Bushcraft knife with me on my belt when I'm in the Bus and on my way to an outdoor location.
But I just stuff it down my backpack and put it on my belt when in rural location.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I'd guess it would be fine if in your rucksack, rather than on your belt. The rucksack and its contents would be evidence that your reason for having the knife was "going camping".

There are very informative threads over on British Blades with regard to the legal aspects of carrying a knife and also Stop and Search etc.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I would go with the rucksac option till at the location where you would be "legitimately" using it.

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
Have a look on BB they have a whole section dedicated to the Laws on knives, there are even a few Police Officers over there who are collectors i think.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
If you're walking down the street with a big Saber45 filled with stuff on your back a map in your hand and a smile on your face.
Do they really bother checking you if you have a knife?

Almost certainly not. Truth is, you could have a rucksack full of heroin, or severed heads, or whatever, and as long as you don't draw attention to yourself, nobody is going to notice. It's not like you have to pass through police checkpoints or go through metal detectors or anything. Nevertheless, there is always the possibility that you'll end up having to deal with the police for some other reason... And there is an argument that the fact you can get away with it doesn't make it right. ;)

However, getting on the train might be a different matter in some places.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
In London they are setting up random knife detectors at tube stations so I don't know what would happen if you get stopped entering the tube on your way to do some bushcrafting, gardening or other legitimate task with a rucksack with knives in it.

I guess if you don't panic and are polite and helpful you'll be allowed to go on your way but they might not let you take your knives with you. I really don't know.

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
Carrying a knife in your bag full of camping equipment isnt the slightest bit illegal.You have a reason for carrying the knife,having a knife in your pocket whilst out drinking up town with your mates is illegal.

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
Carrying a knife in your bag full of camping equipment isnt the slightest bit illegal.You have a reason for carrying the knife,having a knife in your pocket whilst out drinking up town with your mates is illegal.

London coppers don't often see it that way.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
It almost always depends on your approach to these things and how you deal with any police who might ask you questions.

If there's a bag search, or a scanner, always tell them /before/ they start rummaging/scanning - it just looks less suspicious if upfront you venture you have a knife, why you have it etc. Trying to explain to a policeman why you didn't mention the big knife in your bag is always harder!

If you are carrying a knife, and going somewhere that is 'knife-unfriendly' like a train station, underground etc, make sure its well buried in your bag, wrapped in a plastic bag or container, preferably one you have taped shut with gaffer tape - something that means you'd have to stop, empty your bag, unwrap it before you could attack someone with it. Having it in an easy-access pocket makes it seem more like you might be wanting to use it straight away.

As to actual stop-and-searches, I've only ever had one. I was once coming back from a conservation weekend on the train with some friends and had ended up carrying a lot of the 'sharps' in my rucksack - I had 2 knives, a machete, a folding saw, and 2 axes. My rucksack was full up, so I ended up strapping one of the axes to the outside and wrapping the head in a plastic bag and gaffer. A nice policeman at the train station in Edinburgh asked me what I was doing, and was happy enough with my explanation, but asked if I could put the axe in the rucksack so it looked 'less threatening'. Having opened the rucksack and showed him all the other dangerous things I could alternatively strap to the outside, he agreed that the axe was probably the best bet :lmao:

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
The cops must have "reasonable grounds to suspect" that you have an offensive weapon in your in possession to stop and search you in the first place in a public place. That means they must justify why they want to search you.

Public place includes anywhere the public have access. Therefore even in the car park (for example) of your local woods, you're still game.

The reasonable excuse part. Well, you have to justify that. I take a carved spoon with me. I also keep tools in my rucksack and put them back there after I've used them (at the end of the day). Good advice by match. Keep all blades in your bag.

In England, the attitude of the person confronted is a BIG factor. Just explain what you do and who you are. If you're young, you have to be especially non-comfrontational. It saves a lot of bother.

Don't forget, the law says the onus is on you to prove that you had it for a good reason. That means it's possible to arrest first and ask questions later. Sad but true.

Hope this helps.

Pablo. (I used to be a law trainer by the way)

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
If you have just cause to be carrying a knife as long as the knife is suited to purpose then you are legal.A machete on you belt while in tescos is not legal or sensible.A 9 inch chefs knife in a tesco carrier bag on the bus going home from tesco is not sensible but it is legal.A 4 inch lock knife in your back pocket in town is illegal. It's all down to what knife it is where you are and what you are doing with it.Sensible people keep their knives out of sight and hard to get at until needed,I've never been in a situation where the only solution was instant access to a sharp knife unless it was doing something that I was forewarned about.The only thing a knife can be used for is cutting things and the only time you'll need to cut something in an emergency is if you get tangled in a rope or similar, not likely in town.
Keep your knife in your pack until you reach your destination. you know it makes sense!

Globetrotter.uk

Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
My knife is kept in a pouch with a lock on it. I only take it out once at the location where Im going to work. This helps show the police I am trying to be resonsible.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
And crap knives should be illegal at all times! We've all been there though, with the blade stamped with the cardinal points and degrees to find your way home when you get lost in the woods, or some other hideous thing that wouldn't cut butter even if you heated it first! If you're going somewhere that means you may get lifted and your knife confiscated, leave the custom knife at home and take the humble Mora with you.

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
I think it's unlikely in most areas of the UK that you'll get stopped randomly in the high street, London however seems to be particularly bad ( / good?) recently with public transport; metal detectors / scanners around train and tube stations as well as many public attractions. I recently witnessed a stop and search which was conducted under section 60 of the CJPO act '94, something which the act really wasn't designed for and it does worry me slightly that the police can stop and search you with no reasonable suspicion whatsoever. Having personally lost one knife to them in the past (and as your standard fairly professional non-aggressive looking white male) I can't help but be slightly irritated when I see newspaper headlines to the effect of 'Police confiscate X knives in the latest clampdown'... how many other non-homicidal folk have also lost knives unnecessarily. Seems it's the age we live in though unfortunately, if only people would stop stabbing each other

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I was talking to another Dad at MiniMe's football session the other week, asking his advice, as he is a Police Sergeant.

I explained that I had just taken delivery of the Stuart Mitchel knife and was worried about losing it to some over zeaous Police officer.

At the time I was dressed for the woods, and his response was quite sensible..

Dressed like that, I don't know anybody that would stop & search you - even if they did you could justify having a knife (& axe...& folding saw!).

Other advice given was:
  • To carry my sharps out of sight in public, I.e in my rucksac.
  • If stopped, upfront that you are carrying sharps before they are found.
  • Be pleasant, if you have an attitude you are more likely to be arrested.
  • Knifes can only be detroyed if you sign a disclaimer allowing it. They can, however, be confiscated, leaving you with a court appearance to justify having the knife. The downside of the court appearance is obviously a criminal record if you can not justify having the knife. This is the aspect that the Police will play on when asking you to sign the disclaimer!

Spamel's advice about taking the Mora to places you are less sure of sounds good to me all the same!

Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE