Ray Mears Goes Walkabout - Your Views

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
D

Deleted member 4605

Three's a crowd and as Ray said 'we are getting on better than ever' and then with the Brokeback Mountain theme music. Ey, don't shout at me it's true!

I was :lmao:when that music started, and they kept playing it. Someone must have been having a laugh...

The pop tunes were mostly lovely... and should never have been included in the show. Entirely out of place, inappropriate, distracting, they simply didn't fit in any way.

Absolutely.

Grumpy old sod routine over, there was much to love and seeing two really knowledgeable professionals in their element was an absolute joy. Pity the series is so short :(

I would love to watch a few episodes with Ray and Les (minus the music of course).

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
If only there'd been more of the conversation that Les and Ray had. I thought the programme was great but I do agree about the pointless music soundtrack that came with it.

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
Gotta say I thoroughly enjoyed last night's episode......if only for the fact of seeing Ray laughing his guts out repeatedly and clearly enjoying the company of BTM. The arty shots were fine by me, and a novel twist on what can be quite a repetitive format.......but it was when my wife pointed out they were playing the brokeback mountain theme as they gazed fondly at one another that I dissolved into laughter.

:D

Mang

Settler
I liked it, but I preferred Wild Food and Tracks. More applicable to us in the UK I feel.

I enjoyed the second programme.

Maybe he could add another angle to a potential European based series is to invite Bush Tucker Man back.

I feel sorry for Ray in a way as he has had a rough time over the last few years in his personal life

Sorry to be thick but what's occurred?

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Well - I DO care!
The arty farty stuff makes it unpleasant to watch IMHO detracting from the content of an otherwise good prog, adding nothing to the prog except difficulties and a tick in the editors "I showed that I can hit the distort/multi image button on the computer" box on the check sheet of 1960s editing techniques.:D
OK maybe RM does not need me to watch him, but I would like to be able to watch RM andnot be distracted!:Wow:

I'm with you. Its as if someone has just worked out how to do 'picture in picture' on final cut pro and is using it to death. It really made watching things (such as putting up the tarp) hard to follow.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
I think seeing Les on the TV as a kid was the first time I realised people do this sort of stuff for pleasure and kind of opened up a whole new appreciation for the outdoors.

It was great to see these two individuals have a great time and enjoying each others company. In a weird way it kind of felt like a privilege to see it.

P.S. Loving the BBC iplayer!

P

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Thoroughly enjoyed the content of tonight's program - great to see bush tucker man again. I'll have to watch the first one again to see if it was the same but tonight I found both the backing music and the bizarre multi shots with several scenes in one frame quite annoying.

Change the "quite" to "very bloody" and I'll agree with you.:p

On the whole though the series is most enjoyable. RM is a really good communicator and his enthusiasm for the topics that he is dealing with comes through well.

Oh and I think iplayer is the innovation of the century.:)

backwoodsman

Nomad
Jan 22, 2007
lincolshire
A bit off topic but to do with the show.
Something dawned on me tonight when watching the show,
Tell me if im wrong it was just an observation.
How much does it cost to go on one of Rays courses, when he seems to gain bushcraft knowledge from the various indigenous people for free.
Also his kit always seems to be the most ridiculously priced kit you can get.
Even more so if it has RM on it, Ray mears, bushcrafter of merchant banker?

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
I'm afraid to say Mr Mears is a brand name,you can't bushcraft unless you have the woodlore tackle,it can all be purchased elsewhere with a different name for a lot less but not proper bushcraft,unless the gear is woodlore,but thats why we have sheep.

Bernie

backwoodsman

Nomad
Jan 22, 2007
lincolshire
too true, seems like he is just cashing in on it all which seems a shame when he gains much of his knowledge for free from the places he visits,the people he meets. Dont get me wrong l think the shows are great just think its all a bit too capitalized now..
Still thats the way of the world now l suppose:(

Proudfoot

Jun 28, 2007
Under the stars. . .
Does anyone know what the knife he was using was 'the folder'? Might buy myself a dozen or so as an investment before they escalate to astronomic prices because 'Ray Mears uses these' lol :lmao:

Just got a close up tonight, it's the Fallkniven TK4, great knife if the TK3 is anything to go by. Love my TK3, my favourite folder.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Ooooh! oooooh - what was the yellow handled knife?
And the machete?
I see he has given up the "own brand" shirt (must be something about the cut) for a 5:11 tactical!
What shorts are those?
And the boots?

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Being poor myself I don't buy in to the brand thing and try to it on the cheap or not at all if quality becomes an issue so I know exactly where you are coming from.

But on the flip side to him acquiring his knowledge for free I also am aware that he will often help to re-educate indigenous people where skills have been forgotten or lost.

I guess not everything is for free particularly when you trade skills. ;)

Just a view of the flip side!

P

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE