A Cracking Day Out On Scafell Pike (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Mrs Cumbrian and myself went for a wander up Scafell Pike last Sunday. As she hadn't been walking for ages, she was a bit apprehensive, but the view down Wasdale as we approached lifted her spirits.

IMGP1045.jpg

It was well below freezing as we set off from the campsite, but it felt quite mild in the sun.

IMGP1053.jpg

As we ascended though, we were in Scafell's shadow until we were well up past Hollow Stones. The sun must have added at least five degrees to the temperature.

IMGP1071.jpg

We soon made Lingmell Col in the bright sunshine, although I noticed a heavy bank of mist coming in from the sea. After stopping for a snack, it didn't take long to get to the top, and the view out over Upper Eskdale.

IMGP1106.jpg

Looking south towards Black Combe:

IMGP1108.jpg

Broad Crag was next, and after that we headed over to Ill Crag.

IMGP1133.jpg

Ill Crag is an excellent viewpoint for Upper Eskdale,

IMGP1141.jpg

and looking over Pen to Great Moss.

IMGP1146.jpg

Beyond Black Combe and the mist, we could even see Snowdon, 100 miles to the south.

IMGP1150.jpg

We then dropped back down to Lingmell Col,

IMGP1155.jpg

before walking over Lingmell, our last peak of the day.

IMGP1162.jpg

Following our ascent path under Pike's Crag,

IMGP1193.jpg

and Scafell Crag,

IMGP1186.jpg

IMGP1200.jpg

We followed Lingmell Gill back to the car as the sun was going down.

IMGP1208.jpg

IMGP1225.jpg

IMGP1226.jpg

IMGP1228.jpg

buckley

Nomad
Nov 8, 2006
United Kingdom
Looks lovely mate.

Just booked at week in one of the cottages at Wasdale Head in April for my birthday! These pictures have got me all exctied now.

:You_Rock_

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great photos Michael, thanks for sharing them. Brought back some good memories of some early bivvy bag experiences seeing that mist over the valley.

Rich

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
I must admit to feeling a bit smug about having had such a good day out last Sunday, especially when you consider that the pic below is descending Mickledore in August three years ago. I've never liked Mickledore, and I aquired a real hatred for it whilst scrambling down there in rock climbing shoes after climbing on Scafell Crag.

IMG_0079.jpg

norm

Feb 18, 2005
Leicestershire
Mrs Norm and I were there on Friday 15th... Beautiful sunshine and cracking views too - I reckon half of my photo's are of the same views as yours..! (Although we didn't get the atmospheric mist effect!!)
Camped at the National Trust campsite - frost on the inside of the tent adds to the interest. The shadow from the mountains helped to hold the frost - the sun didn't reach the tent till 10:30!
Whatever else people might say though - camping in February beats working!!

Jamie

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE