Alpkit Bleat merino baselayer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Some of the members may be aware of Alpkit, I know a few of us have had Ti mugs from them, Well, they are doing a limited trial run of Merino Base layers at the moment.
http://www.alpkit.com/colab/develop/bleat/
I bought a couple of them before I went away to sea last time.
They were fantastic.
They're warm and wick well plus don't get smelly with extended wear (bet you can't say that about your polypro tops;) )
decent kt with a fast order turn around time (I got mine the day after I ordered it)
and the best bit?
the price.
£20
yes that's right a merino base layer for £20.
not bad eh?

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
Good bit of kit at an excellent price. My one suggestion though is to order a size larger than you would normally. They're neat anyway, and neater still once washed.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
They're warm and wick well plus don't get smelly with extended wear (bet you can't say that about your polypro tops;) )

Oh, I dunno.. 18 months ago I invested in a load of merino wool Icebreaker tops and some North Face polypro to wear underneath. TNF ploypros are designed to be odour free, and by golly they work! Firstly, the design is set up to prevent bacteria harbouring areas, and secondly the whoel lot is impregnated with silver particles to kill off what's left. I can attest to wearing one top and an Icebreaker 200 Merino on top for 5 days solid without a wiff of stench. Considering I can whiff even an hour after a bath- that's some good kit!

At £20 a top though, I'll check these out- I love merino wool!

ps, led, base layers should be really tight to effectively wick away moisture. No contact- no wicking action. I buy a size smaller than normal..:eek:

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeah, I noticed that - but you're never going to get pure merino at that price. I've got a couple of merino/synthetic blends, and while they're not as good as pure merino, they're still good. I might have to try one of these...

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
No, you'll never get pur for that price, but chocolate fish do 100% for quite a reasonable price - not silly cheap like this. It's a bargain for sure.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Is merino or merino/mix itchy next to skin, I am a bit sensitive like that, always cut the labels out!

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Is merino or merino/mix itchy next to skin, I am a bit sensitive like that, always cut the labels out!

I itch, but i itch in anything. That's why I wear TNF polypro underneath. It's a great combo for my work standing in cold mortuaries during the winter. I wear one ploypro, 2 Icebreaker 200 merino wool tops, then my surgical gown. And that's as good as it's going to get.When i'm in the outdoors, it's the same combo with a ventile smock oveerthe top, or in extremes, a Snugpak Fibre pile shirt under the smock too. I wear the icebreakers during summer too and they are surprisingly cool as well. Wonderful stuff, and well worth £40 each if you ask me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE