Hummingbird Moth?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
I was on the balcony and photographed this animal, I was amazed at it! I've never seen anything like it. The size of a large moth it looked like a miniture hummingbird. I've never seen a hummingbird in my life, but this was brilliant to see:

moth1.jpg

moth2.jpg

I'll research what it is tonight when I return from work.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Yup its a hummingbird hawkmoth.

Should be back same time tomorrow, not sure if they have a route they follow or just a daily routine of certain flowers at certain times but they can be quite punctual.

Enjoy

Tant

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Nice one, well done on getting a picture, they are pretty quick....I am out mothing this thursday, hope to catch lots...

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
Yeah it was tricky to catch a decent snap. It is an amazing creature; its wings beating so fast they were just a blur whilst its body stayed precisely in the same place and then as it got to its desired flower it would unravel a thin black tube to pull the nectar out. Thanks for comments and identifying it.

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
The night before last this fine specimen flew into the house attracted by the light and after landing briefly on my computer it settled on the carpet.

I tried to switch the flash off to capture the colour better but it was quicker than me and was gone into the night sky, I looked it up and it is an elephant hawkmoth- the photo doesn't do justice to the vibrant colouring which was spectacular, what a privilege :D

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
I've had hummingbird moth's every year since moving to Dorset. They like the big flowering shrub that I leave to overgrow each summer / autum in the front garden. Last year had 4-5 of them at one time.

They really move!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE