Suggestions for First Aid Kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Oakleaf said:
At risk of sounding like I'm plugging ( again ) the First Aid Course - but Wayne and me are on cuddling terms.... ;)

Not sure from original posting if first aid trained or not - so advance apologies if preaching to converted.

No apologies needed. I was first aid trained in the forces back in the early '80s and did a one day first aid course about ten years ago so could probably do with a refresher.

Main reason for the posting was that I can compile a first aid kit based on what I have needed in the past, but one of the points about first aid is being able to deal with the unexpected - hence the request for ideas (e.g. I hadn't thought about irrigating the eyes as I have never had to do this myself).

I'd generally prefer to buy the bits and make up a kit myself, as I tend to mistrust packs tht have been compiled by someone else as I am suspicious that they haven't, say, included enough antiseptic wipes, or have included a very cheap pair of tweezers that I would want to replace as soon as I buy the kit.

I suppose one of the things about a 'proper' kit is that you get a container, but as I was standing in the bathroom this morning at my ablutions, I realised that the plastic box of moist toilet tissue on top of the cistern was just about the right size for a personal first aid kit....

Geoff

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Geoff

A lot of parallels and much in same boat. Harping about the recent course, it was quite surprising how much had moved on ( or possibly I'd mis-remembered - or both ).

The Lifesystems kit was ok - but the pouch the most useful thing - though it leaks red dye big time when wet. I was similiarly eyeing up a Nesqick Milk shake powder carton recently thinking that if plastic was strong enough etc...

Think individual item approach has much to commend it, Despite the strange looks, still to find a pair of tweezers as good as the one I got from Boots beauty department - my only reason for lurking there and the eye shadow was an honest mistake :eek:

Reason for mirror is mainly for getting bits out of own eye etc.

O Tom tick picks were put in following recent read up on Lymes and recommended method of removal. I'd previously used everything from Vick to Pet Flea spray. Up here I'd expect at least a tick a day when out, so worthwhile inclusion.

In your searching, if you happen to come across a UK supplier of Celox, please let me know. ( non Exothermic wound clot agent )

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
canine pepper works good on a bad bleeding cut just pore it on stops ouick [ spell of canine my not be right ]

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Jared said:
Ah, apologies, wasn't too sure from the nick :)

Well its just seems alittle odd, if someone needs blood urgently, a medic isn't going to rifle through belongings.

And if going to make a card, I imagine sealing a passport photo in with it, so if a medic does see it, they can be fairly sure it does belong to the patient.

The lab will ignore any blood group that is not in the medical record.

Anyway,initial typing of the blood only takes a few minutes.

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
I think cayenne pepper was what you were after ;) and I've heard the same, but not tried it yet.

Dr Onion

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
By Yon Bonnie Banks
BorderReiver said:
The lab will ignore any blood group that is not in the medical record.

Anyway,initial typing of the blood only takes a few minutes.

I should have been more concise with my original posting about carrying a med card in your first aid kit - it's more to keep you (and your companians) on the straight and narrow than any emergency service - like Jared mentions above, they ain't gonna rifle through a first aid kit when you're flailing around on the ground pumping blood out of wherever!

The point of it is more to have information available about your known medical conditions (I just mentioned blood type and tetanus as examples) which could cover anything from epilepsy or bone disorders to severe allergic reactions.

But to each their own, it's not an essential piece of kit but I think it's handy to have on hand - especially if your out with people you only vaguely know.

Dr O
:)

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I tend to carry immodium in a first aid kit. as well as the usual suspects.
going for a "shovel recce" every 20 mins is not fun in the woods.
also I have a head torch (petzl e+lite) attached to my kit.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Have a reply back from MilSys about getting Celox in the UK. Seems they can't sell it yet.. and they're the exclusive distributer.

If the Celox is for use in the UK then I cannot sell it yet as we are still waiting for the overdue CE marking. When we have this we can sell it to you through an enquiry like you have just made or through one of our distributors.

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Jared

Think we got the same e mail this afternoon from Scott.

I have asked him to advise when approval comes through - assume we'll get another similiar e mail each.

Apologies for thread hijack.

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Post crossed!

With the enquiries they are getting - just from BCUK, hopefully will encourage them to chase up.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I carry a bottle of iodine in my FAK, it is good stuff for cuts and grazes, especially when you get to use it on somebody else! "Now, hold still, this may make your eyes water!"

:D

Apr 26, 2007
Nederland
My own mini first Aid kit: (even take it with me when I'm mountainbiking)
(I do have some specials things from my own pharmacy because I'm a vet.)
- emergency alu blanket
- white sport-tape (perfect for stabilising sprain ankles/wrists/fingers but also for use as leukopor etc)
- Sterile woudgauses
- small (30ml) plastic bottle with steril saline solution (for rinsing eyes and wounds)
- antibiotic ointment for eyes (if you can put it in an eye tou can put on anywhere :)
- ticktwister (undistructable tickremover, use it in my own practice and it's the only one we still sell)

tip: superglue for "stiching"/glueing small wounds (first test it on your skin if your not allergic to it)

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Gailainne - thats exactly the doo-hicky. My packet called it O t'om, but looks identical.

Actually works far more effectively than you would think from looking at it - especially the small one on the minute early stage ticks. Allows correct twist-out motion without risk of pressuring tick fluid further into wound.

Would highly recommend it to anyone in tick areas.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
What do you want it for?

I carry a lot of what is listed but not in a single kit, a lot of it is just everyday carry.

dgcalvert said:
bandages (or possibly a first field dressing)

A no 9 and a triangular, if you need more than that for personnel use, improvise.

dgcalvert said:
safety pins

EDC - really useful for lots of things, other than first aid.

dgcalvert said:
Micropore (or similar) tape

Micropore is rubbish, but it is also a 3M product name, so try to find Durapore, its thicker and sticker.

tommy the cat said:
Not trying to hijack the thread but have heard people say burn cream but never seen any?
Are we talking about something which cools a burn?
As that is a good addition to my fak...Also antiseptic wipes or cream?
Got the sachet type wipes which seem less messy?!
D

Can people stop calling it cream, it is Burn Gel. Get what are calling burn blots.

The reason I asked the first question is i must have 5, or six kits, depending on circumstances. They tend to get bigger or copy each other. My EDC First aid kit is just in with my EDC kit.

Another point if you need to take certain pills, carry a spare supply in your kit. I find paracetamol a waste of time so I always have Ibuprofen about.

Edit: Meant to say it is worth carrying emergency contact stuff on you were a doctor or nurse is going to find it. There is even a scheme to have the letters ICE on your mobile phone with a contact number. Anyone pre-hospital is not going to care about this but once there they will want to know who to call. Also the more info the better, things like blood type they might ignore but alergies can kill you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE