Birch sap tap.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
ok thanks i will do it then, i am just making a small billy can to hang off it out of a beans can
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes how long does it take to gather, i dont want to gather too much and not be able to do anything with it, so i thought a little bean can would be enough
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes i wll do it on a weekend so i can keep checking it, i'll put a pic of my can and tap up soon
leon

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
Hi Phil,
Drill depth depends on what you want, sugar water or pure water? Most people will want the sugar water which is transported in the phloem which is within the first 3cms or so of the tree, whereas if you drill deeper you will be drilling into the xylem whaich transports water, so you will get more water.

In an emergency situationand you were dehydrated and you were after fluids then you would want to drill deeper to obtain safe clean pure water to maintain body hydration without all the sugars.

hope this helps

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
ao if i want the sweeter stuff i drill about 3 cm ? slightly upwards to allow sap to flow down
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
nice thanks mate
heres my tap and billy made from a bean can :
beancanbillyandsaptap.jpg

beancanbillyhangingoffsaptap.jpg

leon

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
billycan said:
Hi Phil,
Drill depth depends on what you want, sugar water or pure water? Most people will want the sugar water which is transported in the phloem which is within the first 3cms or so of the tree, whereas if you drill deeper you will be drilling into the xylem whaich transports water, so you will get more water.

In an emergency situation and you were after fluids then you would want to drill deeper to obtain safe clean water to maintain body hydration.

hope this helps

You say safe clean water, so this doesn't need sterilizing?

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I did it last year. Overnight my 4 litre container overfilled! The plug I put in a sawed off was fine - the bark had even started to grow over it when I went for a look last month. I'll be doing it again this year.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
I think I need to try this ASAP ;)
The Cherry trees are already in blossom here ! Spring is on its way, and I still haven't cut the hedge back.
Cheers
Rich

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
Greg, yes the water from the birch is safe to drink, the tree cleans it.

Guys dont forget the humble Sycamore as well, there are far more Sycamores about and the sap is pretty good.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
billycan said:

Guys dont forget the humble Sycamore as well, there are far more Sycamores about and the sap is pretty good.

I know where there is a sugar maple I will try that IF I can get to it.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
billycan said:

Thanks Billycan!!
I like the advice!!:)

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
I seem to remember reading that Ray Mears mixes it with a little chopped mint, freezes it in ice cube trays and pops a cube into a glass of whiskey. :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE