Nalgene bottles for UK Meths storage?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
I want to take one Trangia fill of UK(purple) meths with me on walks to brew up a cuppa without storing it in the Trangia. Are small nalgene bottles OK or will they melt/fail? Anyone use them for this job?
Alternatively if anyone can suggest an alternative other than glass I would be grateful.

Alan

P@ul

Forager
Jan 30, 2006
East Sussex
faff said:
MSR fuel bottle

Not sure if this is the same bottle but in the link that Bardster supplied they have MSR fuel bottles but say

"MSR fuel bottles are unlined. They are fine for use with white gas, Coleman Fuel, petrol and parafin (kerosene), but are not suitable for methylated spirits. "

Paul

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I've used a flexible Platypus "little nipper" bottle for the last year or so to carry / store meths. You can get a special squirt lid for it thats handy and I've had no leaks so far, although I do tend to use a normal cap for long term storage.

ATB
Tom

faff

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2006
south wales
P@ul said:
Not sure if this is the same bottle but in the link that Bardster supplied they have MSR fuel bottles but say

"MSR fuel bottles are unlined. They are fine for use with white gas, Coleman Fuel, petrol and parafin (kerosene), but are not suitable for methylated spirits. "

Paul

they are the same bottle.I have used meths in them many moons ago when i had a trangia but i have been toled not to leave it in the bottle for months as it can eat away at it,but I always did with no problem :confused: but sig bottles are lined and ok I think

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I would imagine that a Nalgene bottle woud be fine. You can check by smearing a bit of meths on the outside of the bottle, rubbing it in, and seeing if it affects the surface (goes cloudy or sticky). If it doesn't, you should be OK. Just make suure you mark the bottle - you don't want to drink meths!!! Or maybe you do...?

In my own opinion, I'm not mad keen on the Sigg/MSR bottles. They actually seem a bit fragile and you can't see a fuel level. I know that sounds odd but I've dinged and split metal bottles before but I've never broken a Nalgene.

Unfortunately, you have to use an MSR bottle for their liquid fuel stoves and so I do use that one.

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
Glasgow
The best thing you can use is Trangia's own bottle. I have one and its great.

http://www.fieldandtrek.com/product-Trangia-Fuel-Bottle-18527.htm

They are very strong and already have the markings on the bottle, Highly flammable etc.

The best thing is how you use them to fill your stove. The problem with many bottles is how you fill the burner from a height without getting meths all over the place. When the burner runs out in the middle of cooking you don’t want to have to take it all apart. If you look at the bottle it has a screw on the top, you loosen that and it allows it to be depressed, opening the valve. You turn the bottle on the side and point one of the nozzles towards the burner from directly above. (the black T part) You press the top and a nice stream of meths with fall directly into the burner. You can do it from some height, its really impressive, lol. I hope you understood that.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I agree with Scuba Pete's recommendation. The Trangia fuel bottles are great, don't leak, come in two sizes (I think...) and make filling the burner very easy and safe. The clincher is the fact that Trangia make the stoves, so they must have thought long and hard about the bottle to carry the fuel for it.

PhilParry

Nomad
Sep 30, 2005
Milton Keynes, Bucks
Mr Naive here - can someone explain to me why the bottles need to be lined? Is it due to some corrosion?

Phil

faff said:
they are the same bottle.I have used meths in them many moons ago when i had a trangia but i have been toled not to leave it in the bottle for months as it can eat away at it,but I always did with no problem :confused: but sig bottles are lined and ok I think

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
I think the methyl alcohol eats at uncoated aluminum. But, I have carried that type of fuel for years in a smaller nalgene bottle (the lexan ones), and it hasnt eaten through yet. It will be fine

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Humpback said:
I want to take one Trangia fill of UK(purple) meths with me on walks to brew up a cuppa without storing it in the Trangia. Are small nalgene bottles OK or will they melt/fail? Anyone use them for this job?
Alternatively if anyone can suggest an alternative other than glass I would be grateful.

Alan

Why a nalgene bottle, aren't they a bit expensive for fuel storage? :confused:

You could just use a small pet-bottle.

Nick_S

Jan 2, 2007
Cornwall / Swindon
PhilParry said:
Mr Naive here - can someone explain to me why the bottles need to be lined? Is it due to some corrosion?

Phil

Maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick here, but I thought that the fuel bottles were unlined, in contrast to the drinking bottles, which are lined to prevent that lovely metallic taste you'd otherwise get from aluminium bottles.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE