Dress up knife carry - what's yours?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
While interesting in itself (I think I have seen that done) that has no knife or even edge content :panda:

my dress up knife was a 2" SAK (2blades, cork screw, bottle opener), it was one of the knives i lost last year during the robbery:cry:

over here it not unusual for folks in the countryside to bring their machetes with them when visiting friends/neighbours --- two years ago there was a court session regarding a land dispute nearby and several witnesses brought their machetes with them (it involved hiking up a hill to have a look at the place in question) -- no objection from the judge...:smuggrin:

Reactions: santaman2000

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
my dress up knife was a 2" SAK (2blades, cork screw, bottle opener), it was one of the knives i lost last year during the robbery:cry:

over here it not unusual for folks in the countryside to bring their machetes with them when visiting friends/neighbours --- two years ago there was a court session regarding a land dispute nearby and several witnesses brought their machetes with them (it involved hiking up a hill to have a look at the place in question) -- no objection from the judge...:smuggrin:

There is nothing quite like passive aggressive negotiation..... :blackeye:

Where are you based??? As that sounds like quite exotic sales pitch :bag:
I feel you pain with regards to the theft, similar situation is why I am on this quest.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'll watch while someone else opens my wine for me. Grandpas get to sit back, watch and get stuff done.
While it went unmentioned (why???), I have a Laguiole folder & case which is a pleasure to flash about.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Made a trial run, no I am not going to make a video. A set of still pics and a few explanations it's going to be.

Otherswise fairly dear wifey has managed to hide most of my slippies and does not remember where. I am not going to open the wine tonight. Mmmrrrrrr.

There is nothing quite like passive aggressive negotiation..... :blackeye:

Where are you based??? As that sounds like quite exotic sales pitch :bag:
I feel you pain with regards to the theft, similar situation is why I am on this quest.

it should say "central america" under " location "... the already-mentioned robbery (of my five most-used knives and pocketboy) happened during a trip to nicaragua --a country which has it's problems (with it's president and corrupt police). while i do miss my tools i'm glad to have made it out alive and hope the gang leader had a jolly good time picking up soap in prison (==as he lost his wallet with ID).....

the court case was in Costa Rica and the machetes were brought along for trail clearing, not to settle the issue (it involved the judge + her assistants looking at the disputed land)

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
You mean - straight to the Kossu?
Never, that stuff is vile. Actually it was stout last night and a fairly strange sour.

That short shoe opener video had been met before though I had forgot the reason why the cork was pushed out.

Sieddy

Nov 12, 2016
Oxford uk
I bought a lovely old two blade sheffield knife a couple of years back. It's first outing was to my mates wedding, it went really well with the waistcoat and pocket watch. Old (new!) faithful came in handy whitling sticks for the kids Harry Potter wands. I then proceeded to get absolutely hammered and the next day I was gutted to realise my knife was lost to me forever.

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
I bought a lovely old two blade sheffield knife a couple of years back. It's first outing was to my mates wedding, it went really well with the waistcoat and pocket watch. Old (new!) faithful came in handy whitling sticks for the kids Harry Potter wands. I then proceeded to get absolutely hammered and the next day I was gutted to realise my knife was lost to me forever.
There's a lesson in there somewhere I'm sure :)

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
So I bit the bullet and got the fallkniven u4, I must admit I thought it would be a little bigger, but with a little finger loop it is a small knife that can handle more than a normal 3 finger knife.

Pictures attached, show size difference of my wife's two spydercos (Ladybug and dragonfly). The U4 is the same size as the Ladybug, but feels bigger in the hand.
e37aeaadc0f97ac7ea78c6c0cc458271.jpg
61b575d3c5ed76e96dc29a3f34c9a85a.jpg

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
So I bit the bullet and got the fallkniven u4, I must admit I thought it would be a little bigger, but with a little finger loop it is a small knife that can handle more than a normal 3 finger knife.

Pictures attached, show size difference of my wife's two spydercos (Ladybug and dragonfly). The U4 is the same size as the Ladybug, but feels bigger in the hand.
e37aeaadc0f97ac7ea78c6c0cc458271.jpg
61b575d3c5ed76e96dc29a3f34c9a85a.jpg

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

When I got my U2 I was surprised at its size also (despite reading its dimensions and having a good grasp on the metric system) and I'd put its blade as being about the same size as a Swiss Army knife.
The knives that have had a grinder run across the lockbar and smoothing onto the back of the blade look better finished but its got a placky frame so the plastic frame/handle would look worse if they did that.
So the transition between the back of the blade and lockbar isnt ground totally smooth.
That blade is one hell of a good slicer though, the lightweight slim plastic handle fits into my back pocket is unobtrusive.

None of that "Reassuring weight" rubbish, I really don't notice it unless I feel for it.
It's pretty much the same opened length as my Spyderco Ambitious which isn't known for its massive size.

Thing is, I've kind of reapraised what I need in a pocket knife and I'm not cutting trees down, I'm sharpening a carpenters flat pencil to a chisel point, opening the packaging on kitchen units for fitting, slicing the plastic banding on timber stacks.
All of which I can do with the Stanley knife I often carry but I also score cut plasterboard and damp proof membrane against concrete with that and it's often kind of blunt, Id have to swap the blade for a sharp one, sharpen my pencil then I'm back to plasterboard and DPM. One wasted blade each time.
Someone may well chime in telling me to use a pencil sharpener... those people haven't used a flat carpenters pencil properly.
I like small knives for my day to day use but bear in mind that when I'm at work I have a vanload of full size tools a hundred or so yards away. I've got choices.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE