Blogs and blogging

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I like you tube now and then. I don't have tv so it's nice to watch them. I have two or three channels I watch other than that most of it is reviews of kit. A new tarp comes out and everyone "reviews" it . This can be very boring. Too many ads aswell. I'm not paying to not get ads. Who's gonna pay to get nothing??? Ads are for stupid things like coffee (don't drink it) or cat food (don't have a cat) frustrating.!!! Home page for me has been trained to give me bushcraft vids but I still get a lot of dross.
Yes books are better. You don't need Internet to read them either..... just bookshelves... I need more bookshelves!

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Book case Billy from IKEA is what you demand.
'The thinking persons book case!'

I like watching info vids too. Trails to Tsujiki, T.t. Oshii, Japanology. Japanology Plus.
All about Japan. Done by Nhk, a Jap. tv channel.

Sorry to off track!

Reactions: Mark Baigent
Mark, I author a blog. It has actually grown into a popular website in the United States. I also run free hiking trips and training classes in conjunction with California State Parks, US Fish and Wildlife, and the Sierra Club. I use the blog to spread the word.

I originally started it as kind of a "bushcraft field journal." Many of the skills we learn are perishable if we don't find time to practice regularly. By recording what I've learned, I hope to be able to replenish my skills that atrophy. So it really does not matter how many people actually read it.

Another reason I started the website is because I found a disturbing lack of information on bushcraft and traditional skills available online. It's a bit better now. But you still find a lot of dubious information and advice that is just plain wrong. I try to provide researched, authoritative information to people getting started from zero, as I did.

Here's a link to the blog so you can check it out:

NatureOutside Blog

Good luck with however you decide to spend your free time. You could read blogs, or you could create your own.

- Woodsorrel

Mark, I author a blog. It has actually grown into a popular website in the United States. I also run free hiking trips and training classes in conjunction with California State Parks, US Fish and Wildlife, and the Sierra Club. I use the blog to spread the word.

I originally started it as kind of a "bushcraft field journal." Many of the skills we learn are perishable if we don't find time to practice regularly. By recording what I've learned, I hope to be able to replenish my skills that atrophy. So it really does not matter how many people actually read it.

Another reason I started the website is because I found a disturbing lack of information on bushcraft and traditional skills available online. It's a bit better now. But you still find a lot of dubious information and advice that is just plain wrong. I try to provide researched, authoritative information to people getting started from zero, as I did.

Here's a link to the blog so you can check it out:

NatureOutside Blog

Good luck with however you decide to spend your free time. You could read blogs, or you could create your own.

- Woodsorrel
Hiya, thanks for that, I have bookmarked your blog

Reactions: woodsorrel

Nativewood

Forager
Feb 9, 2015
Caledonia
How fare ye, Mark? You would know me as Red Kite from Song of the Paddle. I occasionally read articles from blogs that catch my eye but wouldn't start a blog myself simply because I'd be no good at it and would rather spend my time on the PS4, I mean doing all things bushcrafty and outdoorsy, honest....:shameful:

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Actually YouTube has replaced blogs.

Has it? I look at some videos but if I'm trying to find out how to do something I don't think I've ever found a video to be anywhere near as good as a blog. Normally I spent 10 minutes finding out the video isn't any use whereas a blog you can scan in a few seconds before reading and going back to reference.

How fare ye, Mark? You would know me as Red Kite from Song of the Paddle. I occasionally read articles from blogs that catch my eye but wouldn't start a blog myself simply because I'd be no good at it and would rather spend my time on the PS4, I mean doing all things bushcrafty and outdoorsy, honest....:shameful:
Hiya, long time no speak. Hows tricks? Is a PS4 a type of canoe?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Hiya, long time no speak. Hows tricks? Is a PS4 a type of canoe?

If you mean do you chuck it in the pond, then yes it is. Kidding, I still fire up the PS3 from time to time and thoroughly enjoy it. :)

Blogs, I can’t really be bothered. No offence to anyone that writes them, but it’s really just a diary. The last two I was invited to read was a guys cancer journey, and another who was suffering liver disease that was, and probably has by now, killed him. I felt both were self indulgent.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Has it? I look at some videos but if I'm trying to find out how to do something I don't think I've ever found a video to be anywhere near as good as a blog. Normally I spent 10 minutes finding out the video isn't any use whereas a blog you can scan in a few seconds before reading and going back to reference.
I think you might have misunderstood my meaning. I didn’t say YouTube was better than blogs; rather that it has more or less replaced them. My meaning was that people (both the audiences and the authors) have migrated away from blogs to videos. Not entirely, but mostly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE