Boker Plus Subcom Friction Folder?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Anyone own or have any usage experience with this knife, As one of my work mate's has asked me to check about online for him to see if this knife is worth buying as an EDC.
cheer's

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Not with the friction folder, which is new to me, I didn’t even know it existed. I have had the Subcom, Subclaw, Wharcom, and slipjoint versions. All of them very pleasing and capable little knives, I wish I hadn’t sold them really. Boker Plus are good quality and value, I’d imagine that is carried through to the friction folder. Worth noting the huge finger choil on the whole Sub range which prevents the blade closing on fingers. It’s effective, so if the tang sticking out of the friction folder is any way a problem, it’s worth considering the slipjoint version.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
I checked my email this morning and Heinnie had emailed me yesterday with this model showing on the Sale's add, So I just got one as well, anyway for that price it's worth a look for him.
cheers

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
The 1 I ordered for him arrived today, which is still good service from Hennie I'm glad to see & say. So I texted him to say it had came and he asked me to open it up to give it a look over, that and I ordered/paid for it.
And I'm pretty surprised to be honest, it looks good, although it's abit to small for my hands, And the Black Handle Scale side seems to have abit to much of a overhang on the finger choil / play in it, which I think will be an issue, meaning it might crack or come loose, But if you can buy re-placement Scale's for it or make a new 1, I think it would be an ok E.D.C knife, the Neck Sheath seems to be a secure fit.
But I'll let you know what he thinks of it & if he's going to keep it. And do a up-date on his opinion.
cheer's

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Also I just noticed that the Edge Bevels / Grinds are quite abit off Perfectly matching.

I’ll have a look at mine later, I’ve only given it a quick look so far.

If it’s a problem Heinnies are very good, they’ll take it back and replace as long as it’s unused.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Evening, Nice65 or others who have this knife, I think it's a Bonus Kydex Sheath you get, but on first inserting & withdrawing it, it was like trying to prize open a Clamp and I've got a good handshake, Please let me know if yours is the same, As I'm thinking he's gonna ask me to send it back, Due to all 3 of my observations / comments that I have already told him about this item.
cheer's

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Evening, Nice65 or others who have this knife, I think it's a Bonus Kydex Sheath you get, but on first inserting & withdrawing it, it was like trying to prize open a Clamp and I've got a good handshake, Please let me know if yours is the same, As I'm thinking he's gonna ask me to send it back, Due to all 3 of my observations / comments that I have already told him about this item.
cheer's

Still not home to look at the bevels, I’ll get back to you in a half hour or so. Yes, the kydex is bloody tight. I don’t actually mind that for neck carry, but if I was neck carrying, the chain would get replaced with some cord.

My real problem with it should have been addressed before purchase. I don’t actually have a use for the thing! :D

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
I emailed BOKER this morning to see if they sell or could make the re-placement Handle Scale.
so we'll see if they get back to me, Or I'll ask if anyone on this site could make me a custom scale for the knife.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I emailed BOKER this morning to see if they sell or could make the re-placement Handle Scale.
so we'll see if they get back to me, Or I'll ask if anyone on this site could make me a custom scale for the knife.

Stew should be able to make a textured G10 one if he has the original.Im not getting what’s wrong with the one on there though?

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
The 1 Thin textured ish handle scale seems to be abit to flexible at the Finger Choil for me, I think. meaning it would be better off being Flush with the metal handle instead of wider than it, I think it would / will crack or be the cause of the handle coming off.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
The concern is the slight gap when looking top down at the knife spine, where the washers sit at the pivot? That gap is of no concern.

You’ll never break FRN type nylon, it won’t crack, it’s very hard to even bend it. You could hit it with a sledgehammer, it won’t flinch. I’d put this as a tough little general use knife. A bit fiddly to neck carry, and a bit of a pointy thing in the pocket with that hooky tang (quite sharp at the end). The Subcom range have always been kind of urban, cute little cutters for everyday stuff.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Though designed and marketed for general meanness and bat-fering.

I never saw any of that in Bokers marketing, though the Subclaw naturally looked a bit vicious (best box cutter ever). I remember Chad talking about them on BB and us lot hassling for a slippie version. He was using his as a little non threatening work knife at the time. Ok, he works in the American penal system, but I never got a feeling the knives were for nefarious purposes.

Just remembered, I also had the titanium handled version. That was a lovely knife.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
CLB made a bunch of videos - that Boker supported - of him stripped down and practising fisticuffs, blocks etc, with his thumb on the back of the blade and illustrating various dangerous cuts to underarm, throat etc. Kind of got my goat at the time whilst everyone was describing the knives as cute little biscuits. Kind of don't care now. I had one once. I couldn't figure out how to use it, and it wasn't very well put together .. typical Boker at the time ... I do keep going back to look though. Maybe a well-tuned one in Ti and VG10 would do the job .. if there's a thing like that.

Reactions: Nice65

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE