Flint and steel + take down bow saw - £50 budget

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Yo, I have a £50 budget and I'd like to find a nice wooden take down bowsaw and a traditional flint and steel fire lighting starter kit for Xmas. I've only ever had the solid bow saws which are a pita to lug around and I've never used a flint n steel before so don't know what to go for.

So far Ive searched a handful of relevant websites that sell that sort of stuff and tried eBay but I've not found anything special. Any help would be good.

Cheers

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I think for the budget you are best off making your own saw, £5-8 or so will be the blade on it's own; I make take down framesaws as and they are 4 times or more than your budget!. The flint and steel can be got from lots of people, or just break a file and use that ;)

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Thanks guys. The wooden bowsaw I did find is similar to the one linked and it doesn't look like blades can be replaced. Not without modifying the saw which I don't mind doing but would rather make one if I have to get the tools out.

And I'll check out Beaver bushcraft, their stuff looks good.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
With your hand skills samon just make a bow saw as suggested.
Flint and steel, again it's nothing special spend your fiddy on something you can't make
I think the gift it on thread stalled with a fire making kit on offer iirc

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
With your hand skills samon just make a bow saw as suggested.
Flint and steel, again it's nothing special spend your fiddy on something you can't make
I think the gift it on thread stalled with a fire making kit on offer iirc

I think I might have to make one, it's annoying though as it was going to be a gift to me from my wife. Something I didn't have but thought I could use. Good shout on the gift it on thread, I forgot about that!

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Yeah making your own Christmas present is a bit sad eh lol
Could always get yourself a silky zubat for 50 quid or an almost as good samurai for half that

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE