Mora knife leather sheath

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leo0274

Apr 20, 2015
Brasil
Hey guys, I finally got myself to make a sheath for my mora, I'm quite happy with the results, it holds the knife really well. The only problem is the edge slides grasping the leather messing with the sharpness, anyone has had this problem? How to deal with it?

21ryLTg.jpg

Mcr5OqA.jpg

leo0274

Apr 20, 2015
Brasil
You mean the edge blunts?
Weird.
The pulling out action should hone the edge, if anything!

Excellent sheath. Very fitting a Mora!

Yes, the edge blunts... maybe it is a design flaw or maybe my knife wasn't all that sharp... I will try sharpening again and see what happens

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Hey Leo, did you put a welt in the stitched edge?
Can't tell from your pic's, and probably won't help with the sharpness issue unless you stitched it with wire.
Looks real nice, my first attempt ended up wrong handed so got re-purposed :facepalm:

Reactions: leo0274

leo0274

Apr 20, 2015
Brasil
Hey Leo, did you put a welt in the stitched edge?
Can't tell from your pic's, and probably won't help with the sharpness issue unless you stitched it with wire.
Looks real nice, my first attempt ended up wrong handed so got re-purposed :facepalm:

Yes, there is a welt, and it´s not stitched with wire, I used bank line

Reactions: Fraxinus

leo0274

Apr 20, 2015
Brasil
Looks cool and I'm kind of intrigued by how the belt loop is placed. This way the stiching faces outwards doesn't it? Is it made to ride a belt or as a neck knife?
I carry it as a neck knife, I just put a loop of paracord, but it will probably fit my belt.
Yes, the stitching is outwards, I can post a picture of them later if you want.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Is there a possibility you are honing the edge to a shaving super sharpness, and have a very thin edge?

(could be his expectations are very high on an edge)

The manufacture of those knives is very automated, and the likelihood for a bad hardening/tempering virtually non existent.
It is a Carbon blade, and you have removed the red stain from the handle? Looks good!

Reactions: leo0274

leo0274

Apr 20, 2015
Brasil
Is there a possibility you are honing the edge to a shaving super sharpness, and have a very thin edge?

(could be his expectations are very high on an edge)

The manufacture of those knives is very automated, and the likelihood for a bad hardening/tempering virtually non existent.
It is a Carbon blade, and you have removed the red stain from the handle? Looks good!

I did sand of the red coat of the handle, I think it look a lot better without it

Reactions: Janne

Nativewood

Forager
Feb 9, 2015
Caledonia
Great effort apart from the strange blunting issue and I hope you get it resolved. Ye cannae beat a Mora - more bang for the back is hard to find.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE